Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,386   Online: 709

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vietnam

Shooter
    Multi Format

Vietnam

Hi,

I'm thinking of going on a month long trip to vietnam, I figure I would start my journey in Ho Chi minh and then work my way up north.

But I'm not sure about where I should go and what I should make a point to see and experience. Another plus I would like is like to photograph beautiful things.

Does anyone have any suggestion?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The most economic option is to buy an "open tour" bus ticket from Saigon up north along the coastline with as many stops on the way as you wish. Several companies offer the service ("Sinhcafe" buses are legendary among travellers) and buses leave from Saigon on a daily basis. The bus will take you directly to a nice town/village with nice hotels/hostels so this is really an easy and inexpensive way to travel in Vietnam. I would save a lot of film to Hanoi and north in general which in my opinion is the most beautiful part of Vietnam.
    Last edited by mablo; 10-11-2013 at 07:01 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format

Vietnam

Son Doomg is the largest cave system in the world. It even has it's own weather system. It is reported as an unbelievably beautiful cavern.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last time I saw Vietnam was in 1968. My experience at that time is hardly a good measure of what you might expect today. However, even then, if you looked past the bullet hole pocked buildings and statues, you could see that it was, at one time, a beautiful country and why the French vacationed there. However, this might be worth a read. Best of luck and I hope you have an great visit/trip/experience.

http://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-bl...rn-to-vietnam/
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    ... if you looked past the bullet hole pocked buildings and statues, you could see that it was, at one time, a beautiful country and why the French vacationed there.

Yup.. Sadly, the French constructed very little infrastructure in the country (power plants, hospitals, etc.) during their control. Traveling through the former British Colonies in the area, the difference was quite striking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The longest cave system in the world is the Mammoth system in Kentucky, USA. Sorry, folks.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    My flickr stream

Shooter
    Large Format
    I turned 18 on the last day of '74, and with a draft number of 23, the final '75 pull-out was the best birthday present I could have hoped for. I spent my whole childhood scared to death of ending up there.
    I think Viet Nam will have to wait on the next generation before becoming a tourist trap. Not me, thank you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I turned 18 in October of that year. Things came to a close just in time for me also. I would love to take a month long trip there any day, have great trip!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was in Vietnam 2 summers ago. Halong Bay is gorgeous.

http://justthetravel.com/ha-long-bay-vietnam/
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having been in Vietnam during the war and the TET Offensive I can agree we did little good there. However this is not a political forum.. last time I checked.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin