Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,817   Online: 725

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, # 2 is a challenge. I did not even start to look for it. I'm off this round.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Arth.
    The 2nd is too close and not from above it enough which makes it tougher. I would guess it's nearby - Arth and Interlaken aren't too far apart.

What's cool that I didn't have time to post earlier is that on the blog where I saw the recent photo of Interlaken, the writer mentioned they didn't need to set an alarm because they got woken up by cows wearing bells each morning. In the photos from my great-grandparents' trip, there are several of my G-GMa with cows wearing bells. It's kinda comforting that some things haven't changed a ton in 100 years.

Thanks for all the help!

Shooter
    35mm
    I am going to Interlaken in June and will note the bells because I will be camping.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm quite sure those bells would make me mad... I always wondered what the cows think of it.
    To be fair, agriculture is not really silent over here either with all those huge machines.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    I am going to Interlaken in June and will note the bells because I will be camping.
    Cool! I hope you lost of fun - looks like a great place.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Cool! I hope you lost of fun - looks like a great place.
    This will be my 3rd attempt, beaten by weather on the last two occasions - both in late spring early summer. The 3 mountain passes we had to ride over to get there and out again (on motorcycles) were all still blocked with snow in early June! One cafe owner told us that they had in some places an extra 30 meters of snow than is usual. Thats 104 feet if you cannot be bothered to work it out. The Swiss army were causing explosions in some of the areas to cause controlled avalanches, so that it was made safe for the tourist season! But what we saw was brilliant, I cannot wait to get back

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That must have been 3m or 10.4' .

Shooter
    35mm
    No, not 3 meters, the cafe owner was adamant that the peaks in the area had up to 30 meters! Judging by the avalanche blocking the Sustens Pass near the cafe where we had to turn around, I don't doubt her word........(If we had seen the sign 'Geschlossen' at the bottom we would not have gone up there but it was worth it.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sustenspass June 14th 2013.JPG  
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 12-11-2013 at 06:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The highest snow thickness ever reported in Switzerland was 11m. And you even had it about an add-on to what is usual.
    That is about plains. At edges or so snow it may pile up higher.

Still shocking for me over here in the lowlands, as we hardly ever get one foot of snow.
    Last edited by AgX; 12-12-2013 at 03:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought it was a bit over the top, but other passes we went across - Stelvio, Grossglockner, Timmesjoch, and Jaufen were almost clear of snow and they are all further north. It seems Swizerland high peaks were hit very badly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin