Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,689   Online: 715

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help finding a location

Mods - feel free to move to the lounge if that's a better fit.

I've scanned a large number of the old negatives found at my late grandmother's house. One pile was wrapped in a piece of paper that had "1912" written on it. My great-grandparents were married that year. I'm sorta guessing that the photos in that pile were from their honeymoon. It looks like they went to the Alps and maybe more. Attached is one shot of a town from higher up a hill. There are a couple from other towns, but I haven't saved them small enough to post, yet. Is there any chance that someone here can help me out with a location? I know one spot they went to was Chamonix (there's a photo of my great grandmother in front of a memorial statue to H. B. de Saussure). If anyone can help, I might post the others this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 162-town from high-sm.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Try Googling the name which appears on the statue. The person depicted would have some close association with the town it is in.

Bear in mind the 'Alps' covers more than one country, they are also in Switzerland, North of Italy and some in Austria. So really you need a more specific area to search if you are going by the term 'Alps'. Besides since these photographs were taken some of the tonws will have changed and will now be unrecognisable from the air.

To save you the bother here is what I have found:- The statue may be that of Horace Benedict de Saussure who was a resident of Geneva (Switzerland) an aristocrat, physicist and alpine traveller. I looked in Wikipedia where there is more information and pictures you could compare what you have.

I have looked at Google maps and the town shown in your picture almost definitely isn't Geneva. The white curved strip is almost certainly a river and the river is not that shape near the town. It does look similar to another part of the area about 20 miles to the west however.

Chamonix is about the same distance south east. Around Geneva the ground is relatively low level but Chamonix is at the centre of the higher alpine skiing areas. Although Chamonix is in France it isn't far from the Swiss border.

At least it is a start.
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 12-06-2013 at 05:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a railway Station, a large lake and there are several dams. Especially the center one with those three buildings should be indicative.
    Last edited by AgX; 12-06-2013 at 04:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is definitely my kind of game.

That photo almost certainly depicts Interlaken CH, taken from the north.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamG View Post

Thanks! I'll go look that up. I have two other town shots (different towns) - wanna try those, too?
    This is one of many reasons I love APUG.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamG View Post

You are right!

(I have to admit I never was so much off in aerial photo interpretation as in this one [dam and lake...]. Quite embarrassing.)

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Please show us the other photographs, this town guessing is fun and maybe a little embarrasing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LiamG was right (thank you very much!) - I googled Interlaken and found a picture on someone's blog that was from a different angle, but very definitely the same town.

The other two are not as easy, I don't think, but I know APUGers like a challenge, so here they are. I'd bet they're in the same general area, though the negs were definitely not in anything resembling a chronological order.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imgd165-1-town3.jpg   imgd139-1-town2.jpg  

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    my guess:

#1: Arth at Lake Zug

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think AgX has it, sure looks like Arth. That third picture is quite the challenge, though, hardly even a recognizable building...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin