Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,523   Posts: 1,598,253   Online: 1001

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    A water pipe on the outside of a house? Seriously?! That seems quite bizarre to me.
    Also a technque used to re-plumb houses to avoid chopping up interior walls for access. Interestingly they often insulate the hot pipes, but forget to teach us warm weather folks the "leave a faucet dripping" trick.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    A water pipe on the outside of a house? Seriously?! That seems quite bizarre to me.
    I agree that's really strange, in New England, you aren't even allowed to install water pipes on the INSIDE walls that touch the outer most wall, you have to have them sent through a central location on an interior wall, or they could crack from the cold if the house temp drops too much (like when you set the thermostat to 55 when you're not home)...

Silly Californians...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Silly Californians...
    Yes, most certainly!

and it is amazing how quickly one forgets their inate New England sensibilities and adopts the California silliness.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree that's really strange, in New England, you aren't even allowed to install water pipes on the INSIDE walls that touch the outer most wall, you have to have them sent through a central location on an interior wall, or they could crack from the cold if the house temp drops too much (like when you set the thermostat to 55 when you're not home)...
    Look at bright side, we don't have to contend with earthquake codes.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Look at bright side, we don't have to contend with earthquake codes.
    With all the Fracking here in New England we may have to soon... We are starting to have much larger earthquakes because if the fracking ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Lightweights.
    Here in adelaide we can't have convertibles. If you're in the sun for 20 consecutive minutes the top of your head catches fire. (but it gets worse in summer)
    What? No. Tell that to my solar panel.

PS hats.

There's nothing like driving through the hills in cool autumn weather with the top off, heater on, bare head and bare feet.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    ...Silly Californians...
    Hey...I resemble that remark!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I was in Iceland in July 2001. It must have been about 50 degrees out and kids were running around in shorts and t-shirts.
    Then I see online weather reports from California with news reporters wearing coats, scarves, and hats when it drops below 50.
    Are you guys a little weak out there in Southern California? Or, more than a little, perhaps? Doesn't that bother you?
    New a fellow who was stationed at Camp Penelton a marine base just south of San Clement along the coast in So. Cal during the winter for basic training. He was from one of the mid west states,said he use to ware a tee shirt while working out side when it was snowing and it did not bother him at all. In boot camp he complained about having a cold the whole winter he was there probable form the moist cold air coming in off the ocean that just sucks the heat right out of your body, always damp and never really dry in those barracks.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mike c View Post
    New a fellow who was stationed at Camp Penelton a marine base just south of San Clement along the coast in So. Cal during the winter for basic training. He was from one of the mid west states,said he use to ware a tee shirt while working out side when it was snowing and it did not bother him at all. In boot camp he complained about having a cold the whole winter he was there probable form the moist cold air coming in off the ocean that just sucks the heat right out of your body, always damp and never really dry in those barracks.
    It is not that bad there. The colds he had was more likely due to being thrown into contact with people with new germs he had never been exposed to before -- no immunity built up -- and the stress that his body was being put through. When the boys and I go down to San Clemente for Thanksgiving every year, we are the few that are on the beach and in the water. Water temp is in the balmy low 60'sF and the air temps nice and warn -- 60's to 70F. Ocean water up here rarely gets above the low 50's. -- and 60's for the air temps! And that is in the summer!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the mid-80's I worked as a civilian contractor on the airfield of a Navy test facility that happens to be located in the Mojave desert.
    The airfield is 5 or so miles from the main part of the base, and one spring afternoon I was heading out for late lunch or some such; temp was maybe 85 (F) or so.
    There was a sailor waiting at the shuttle bus stop, so I offered him a ride into the base.
    He gets in the car and says "Sure is hot isn't it?"
    I said, "you haven't been here very long have you?"
    "No sir, I just got here last month.", he says.

Ok, well that explains it. (in local-speak, "hot" when talking about weather is maybe 110+ (43C))
    I broke the news to him as gently as I could.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin