Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,736   Online: 842

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I was on a jobsite in Saudi Arabia, and told my associates that in Illinois, we had two seasons: winter and road construction.
    They replied that things were the same in Saudi: only there it was summer and road construction.
    Take your pick.
    Just remember that when it gets really hot, and you're down to your underwear, and you are still hot, that removing your underwear will not make you cooler.
    In adult-rated climates, however, one can always add layers during cold spells.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    In the Greater Cleveland Area, every winter people act as if they've never seen snow before. I've begun to sarcastically reassure these people that they'll get used to it after they've lived here a couple years. When they tell me they grew up here, I then ask why the hell they are freaking out. (I grew up here too.)
    In the Middle Atlantic states there are several things what happen when there is a forecast of impending snow:
    1. The minimum acceptable speed on all roads regardless of road width or pavement surface is 70 miles per hour.
    2. When snow does appear all cars must stop at the base of icy hills. It is imperative that they start up without any momentum and proceed up the hills with wheels spinning. When the reach the point that the vehicle starts to slide down hill, the accelerator is pushed to the floor and the steering wheel is whipped left and right as quickly as possible.
    3. Stopping on snow or ice requires full force be repeated applied to the brake pedal.
    4. Snow tires and chains are not permitted. The only legal winter tires are smooth trendy designer tires.
    5. On the first report of impending snow, everyone rushes [see #1] to the stores and to buy out milk, bread and toilet paper. The best that I can figure is that the cause for these actions are based on a pagan ceremony that must be done in every household. The ceremony involves making french toast and causes great gastric distress. Frankly if the ceremony with the french toast causes such explosive evacuations, why anyone would even consider conducting the pagan ceremony?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TimFox View Post
    Just remember that when it gets really hot, and you're down to your underwear, and you are still hot, that removing your underwear will not make you cooler.
    Best advice all day, but what about empathy? Other people might get downright chilled as an effect of removing our underpants, which may or may not have a good effect on society and our future careers as inmates.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    In the Middle Atlantic states there are several things what happen when there is a forecast of impending snow:
    1. The minimum acceptable speed on all roads regardless of road width or pavement surface is 70 miles per hour.
    2. When snow does appear all cars must stop at the base of icy hills. It is imperative that they start up without any momentum and proceed up the hills with wheels spinning. When the reach the point that the vehicle starts to slide down hill, the accelerator is pushed to the floor and the steering wheel is whipped left and right as quickly as possible.
    3. Stopping on snow or ice requires full force be repeated applied to the brake pedal.
    4. Snow tires and chains are not permitted. The only legal winter tires are smooth trendy designer tires.
    5. On the first report of impending snow, everyone rushes [see #1] to the stores and to buy out milk, bread and toilet paper. The best that I can figure is that the cause for these actions are based on a pagan ceremony that must be done in every household. The ceremony involves making french toast and causes great gastric distress. Frankly if the ceremony with the french toast causes such explosive evacuations, why anyone would even consider conducting the pagan ceremony?
    Only slightly different in Illinois: here we have a public holiday (a floating feast) called "What's all this white s***? day" where the drivers go out, drive crazy, and ask that question, not having seen snow for roughly eight months.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    ...the span can be as wide as 145 degrees F. That's 80 degrees C to all you civilized people.
    Mars is like that, too.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Mars is like that, too.

Ken
    Civilized?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cold.

But it truly wouldn't surprise me one iota if someday we see a picture of one of those little Curiosity-dug trenches in the dirt, but with an old rusty nail sticking out of the bottom.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Lightweights.
    Here in adelaide we can't have convertibles. If you're in the sun for 20 consecutive minutes the top of your head catches fire. (but it gets worse in summer)
    Well played sir! Adelaide is the only place I have ever seen people with black complexions using spf 30+ sunscreens...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I read somewhere that the US Midwest has some of the largest temperature spans anywhere on the planet. With possible -30*F or even -40*F it it's really freaking cold, and more than +100*F in the summer with sticky humidity, the span can be as wide as 145 degrees F. That's 80 degrees C to all you civilized people.
    That is about our temperature range from -40 C to +43 C but anything about 38 or below -30 is unusual which is what it was this morning -34C but we are sending it east to Regina and by Monday is supposed to be -5C. With a strong chinook we can get a change of 40 degrees in a day from -20 to +20. Sure wished that would happen today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    TMI
    Most people say TMI is when I go without!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin