Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,587   Online: 986

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Translation for Seattle...

"If you don't suffer through the 48 weeks, you won't really appreciate the 4 weeks."

Ken

You get FOUR weeks of summer up in Monroe? We only get three in Shoreline.

Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I shoveled and plowed 6 hours a day Monday-Wednesday and right now its 22 below

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ken, yes, exactly - it was sunny today and that made all the difference. I took the dogs out this morning and thought it seemed remarkably warm (no jacket, either, T-neck and sweatshirt, jeans, sneakers). Checked the thermometer when I came in and it was 3. But it was sunny! And not windy. It warmed up to a whopping 15F today, too.

I agree, Truzi - you can always add layers to get warm - there's only so much that can come off to stay cool.

In winter, I only get tired of cleaning snow off my car by about March (in New England anyway, no clue how IA will be) and that's usually right when it starts warming up. By the time it gets to be 80F, I'm wishing for that snow back.

I saw one of those "You might be a New Englander if…" lists and it included something about scraping ice off your windshield in the morning and using the AC in the car later the same day. Yup, BTDT.

I was born in Sitka, AK and the joke there is that the rainy season lasts from Jan 1 to Dec 31. Wellies (the boots) are called "Sitka Slippers" by my parents.

Shooter
    35mm
    ... that the L.A. Police and Politicians had their hands in their own pockets?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Being a transplanted Brit, I still tend to think in Celsius. It is priceless to see the expression on people's faces when I forget to convert the temperature and say 'it's going to be below zero tonight'!
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp View Post
    Being a transplanted Brit, I still tend to think in Celsius. It is priceless to see the expression on people's faces when I forget to convert the temperature and say 'it's going to be below zero tonight'!
    Well maybe one day the rest of the world will progress and switch over to the American system of weights and measures.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Today it was so cold in Los Angeles that …

Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Well maybe one day the rest of the world will progress and switch over to the American system of weights and measures.
    One thing we will never agree on.... I think the us system if measured is moronic and I can't wait till they switch... I don't know what we are waiting for it's so dumb... Why is freezing 32.... It should be 0.... And why do we work in initial base of 12 (or is it 16 for volume and only 12 for distance?) when we add in a 10 base system....

Dumb dumb dunb...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benveniste View Post
    ... that the L.A. Police and Politicians had their hands in their own pockets?
    Naw, not THAT cold!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Large Format
    That's OK, Stone ole' buddy. Let's compromise. When it's 50 degrees up there in Connecticut, you take your shirt off and wipe your brow with it. And when it's 50 degrees here, I'm going out in the woods with my maul and split me some firewood. Deal?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    One thing we will never agree on.... I think the us system if measured is moronic and I can't wait till they switch... I don't know what we are waiting for it's so dumb... Why is freezing 32.... It should be 0.... And why do we work in initial base of 12 (or is it 16 for volume and only 12 for distance?) when we add in a 10 base system....

Dumb dumb dunb...
    We were supposed to have switched in the 80s. It didn't quite work out. BTW, 0 degrees is as arbitrary as 32 (unless we're talking Kelvin). It is the increments where metric makes more sense.
    Truzi

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin