Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,928   Posts: 1,522,161   Online: 1037

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

London - in the Fall time of year -

Hi, being of Scottish, Irish, and English descent, the first being my maternal grandfather, the second being both grandmothers, and the third being my paternal grandfather. Hence the name Jackson. This will be my first trip to London and the UK. In London I want to visit the British Museum and outside of the city make a visit to Stonehenge. The other places I'll have to look up again but my wife will drag me around to places she thinks I should see.

I'm looking for suggestions in a general way about areas to stay and types of accommodations while there. We'll be staying a short time in Iceland on the way over too. It's all my wife's fault, she wants to go... Where she goes, I go!

Oh, oh, can I take 16x20 inch film and camera through the X-ray machine and what camera bag is best? Will it be ok in the overhead bin? I'm just kidding of course, that stuff has been beaten to death!

Thanks,

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take the film as carry on luggage and it can go through the scanners in the UK they are 100% film safe. The chain hotels like Travel Lodge / Ravel Inn are basic good clean rooms at reasonable prices, Laterooms.com is a good place to search for hotels but outside London Bed & Breakfast places are a good bet as well. We rarely pre-book B&Bs just don't leave it until to late in a day.

If your near any of us let us know and I'm sure we'll show you around

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since you intend going to Stonehenge (a good idea, IMO), I'd like to suggest a route out of London taking in Oxford, Bath and Salisbury too. I did that exact trip a few years ago finding accommodation as I went - I stayed in pub / tavern type places. It might be a little more expensive than more modern hotels, but a lot more memorable. I don't have details of places unfortunately, but it wasn't difficult when travelling by car. Have you thought about how you'll get around?

I remember weird details about that trip, like the cinema in Salisbury, check out this page and you'll have some idea why:

http://www.cinematopia.co.uk/salisbury/

I didn't know about this place before visiting Salisbury, just wanted to see a film. I asked a local for directions to the cinema, they grinned at me and said it was rather a peculiar building and they'd better take me in person or I would think they were playing a trick on me. The film I saw was terrible, but I won't forget the cinema. Salisbury Cathedral was the reason I visited the town, that was also a remarkable place (I'm biased, having studied medieval history and having done a stone masonry internship at Canterbury Cathedral - this might not be your thing).

The Victoria and Albert Museum is great, I always visit when I can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    ... The other places I'll have to look up again but my wife will drag me around to places she thinks I should see. ...
    Jackson is an English name?; I always thought it was an African American name.

Where ever she drags you, you'll have a good time. I LOVE London. The museums can be exhausting because of their quality and magnitude. You can't go wrong no matter what you do. Only problem I always had was not being able to do enough. Best way to travel from point to point is the Tube but I gained a lot of satisfaction from randomly walking the streets. Lots to see and do. Enjoy!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I suggest a week in London, no more, then hire a car and head out to the west country. Chain hotels are the same as everywhere. Pubs/small hotels are great. Use booking.com and tripadvisor to find the best places/deals and then check them out. I would book ahead in London, but not so necessary elsewhere except for very popular places in July/August. Once into September and the schools go back, it's much easier. Come back here for suggestions when you have a basic itinerary and I'm sure you will get lots of good suggestions.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you're doing Stonehenge, you must visit Avebury. Approximately 23 miles north, and has a whole village inside the stone circles (and a pub).
    While in Wiltshire, Lacock Abbey isn't that far away (home of Fox Talbot), then on to Bradford-on-Avon. For a good mix of Roman and Regency architecture, Bath is a short hop further west - The water there isn't to everyone's taste

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You'll be wanting to stay on the Isle of Lewis then. Just up the road a bit from Londinium [1.5hr flight - 1 change] where we accept any bags at all. And we have nice people, things to look at and photograph and hardly any Royals. Got to be good. And by theway, we don't have Fall. Just spring and winter :-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlapp View Post
    And by theway, we don't have Fall. Just spring and winter :-)
    Not Fall but a lot of the population surely had a happy stagger last night in the early hours and again tonight on Lewis.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Autumn is johnny come lately Victorian English. Fall predates it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfleet View Post
    Autumn is johnny come lately Victorian English. Fall predates it.
    Quite true. As does that weird word gotten which Americans use but we don't.

Don't tell any Americans though!

Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    I suggest a week in London, no more
    I would suggest no more than ten minutes!

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin