Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,532   Posts: 1,572,648   Online: 972

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mexico- any problems bringing gear in and out?

I'm considering a trip to Mexico and I was wondering if there are any issues bringing in a good sized case full of camera gear and film. Flight wise it'll all be carry-on, but many years ago I heard horror stories about bringing gear there so I figured I'd see if anyone had more recent experiences.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Your biggest concern is going to be theft. We used to live right by the border. Mexico is a poor, impoverished country and I would not bring anything that would attract attention or be worth much.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am interested in this as well. I'll be in the Based out of Cancun. Last time I was there, 10 years ago, it was not a problem bringing my Mamiya 645. But not sure today. Everything I've read is the Cancun and surrounding area is generally safe. Any one been there recently?

Early riser, when and where are you thinking of going?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I went to Mexico for a 2 week Christmas holiday last year (2012/2013). I brought my DSLR with 3 lenses and a Mamiya 645 Pro with 2 lenses. All packed in a backpack as carry-on. We flew to Cancun and stayed in an apartment in Puerto Morelos, no resorts. No problems at all. We felt very safe at all times. The locals were very friendly. Some of my images in the gallery are from that trip. We did a similar trip around Christmas in 2009 but then we drove all around the Yucatan peninsula with a rental car and stayed in local hotels. Again no problems at all. There were many checkpoints by the police or military on the roads but they never gave us a hard time. We had a little party with a local family on the street of Palenque, drinking tequila, banging the Pi˝ata‎ and lighting some fireworks at midnight. Our biggest worry was the Topes, massive speedbumps that could easily wreck the car, specially when driving at night.

Have a nice trip!

Menno
    Last edited by spijker; 01-15-2014 at 09:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [Moderator's note: reply to deleted post deleted.]

To the OP.I had no issue with bringing in camra equipment, taking it out or having it stolen. it is a country rich in cultureand warm welcoming people. I wish ,I could say this about the US,but then again,there areunpleasent people in all countries. have a successful trip and plenty of good photo opportunities.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have traveled all over Mexico with high end photo gear. Absolutely no problem. Mexican border towns are not representative of the rest of Mexico for the most part.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I lived in Mexico City for years and never had an issue with my Leica or Rolleiflex (which I purchased there.) I've known many photographers who live there with very high end gear and don't have issues either. Obviously the same precautions you would take in a large US city apply.

The one issue I sometimes have is convincing airport officials to not x-ray my film, but in the end I always get them to do a hand inspection. Film is expensive and there is less variety there so I would bring it with you.

Enjoy Mexico, it's a wonderful country and the people are great!

Where in Mexico are you heading?

Shooter
    35mm
    I am from Mexico, so the question is, which cities do you plan to visit and what kind of shooting?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Davomx View Post
    I am from Mexico, so the question is, which cities do you plan to visit and what kind of shooting?

San Miguel de Allende.

Thanks for all the replies.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I strongly recommend you check with the US Department of State web site for travler's advisories before entering Mexico.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin