Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,574   Posts: 1,545,701   Online: 774

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Portra 400 and 800 (both in120) is gone in Japan

At least in Yodobashi. Online as well, they have no idea when it will be back, pain in the ass. Since I sold all of my stash in Australia.

My mate bought the last pro pack of 800 in Tokyo today. There's still few left in 3 other stores around Japan.

Does anyone know where I can find few pro packs? Does Bic sell film in any of their stores?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hmmm that's kind of alarming. I'm coming over there soon and I'm considering buying a bunch of film in Tokyo for my trip. Curious to know as well if portra 400 can be found there. Also, what are costs for 120 film pro packs in Tokyo? Can you give me some idea? I wonder how the prices compare to North America before I commit to buying over there. Thanks,

Willem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess they have supplier issues over there. The latest notice on yodobahi website says that stock is low and some stores have none. They will restock on 28th. It's 3150yen for pro pack.

http://www.yodobashi.com/コダック-Kodak-...0001001302056/

Stores which have it in store:
    http://www.yodobashi.com/ec/product/...056/index.html

I managed to find some in a store called Popeye Camera in Jiyuugaoka. It was about 200 yen more for pro pack. It's a nice trendy suburb and it's worth a visit.

Otherwise I shot using Pro400H and the results are great. I like that film as well, so it wasn't too big of an issue.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cool. Are fuji films cheaper than kodak in Japan? How much is a propack of the 400H?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They are about the same, +/- few hundred yen. You can go to yodobashi.com, enter your favourite film's name in search bar and it will come back with the result.
    400h is 3280yen.

I've stocked up on provia 400x and Neopan 400 while I was there few weeks ago. Also if you do your black and white, you might look into getting fuji developers like Microfine for Fuji Acros and Fuji Super Prodol for Neopan 400 (that is if you shoot 35mm).

Enjoy your trip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Portra 400 is disappearing from shelves here in Shanghai. I wanted to pick up a 5'er or so and found none in stock in any of the film stores that I could find. Protra 160 yes, 400 no. The dealer had no idea when he would get any more in stock, so I went with Fujifilm 400H.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think Kodak must have major supply issues in Asia after the whole company changeover (or damand for 120 film in asia is going through the roof and I don't think that's the case). I have just checked yodobashi and there's little bit stock left in Kyoto (very small fridge in that store behind counter) and Sapporo (same deal). All other places are out of stock again and it's on order. No dates when it's going to be back...

With Kodak 800, only 8 stores have it and it's none of the big ones. Only smaller cities. Small supply too.

Kodak 160, is plentiful everywhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hopefully it is just supply issues and will get straightened out for you folks in Asia.

I love Portra 400. It's my standard neg file (Ektar 100 for times when I want more saturated colors for landscapes, flowers etc.) I don't have any real need for the 160 when 400 gives such great results with a stop and a third more speed (though 160 is a fine film.)

I shoot 800 too but could probably live without it if I had to. I certainly don't WANT to, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, yesterday I saw some fresh (2016 expiry) Kodak 35mm colour print film in a Canadian Walmart store. That is the first time I've seen that in a very long time.

So I have to hope that maybe, just maybe, we will see a change with respect to the distribution issues.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Hopefully it is just supply issues and will get straightened out for you folks in Asia.

I love Portra 400. It's my standard neg file (Ektar 100 for times when I want more saturated colors for landscapes, flowers etc.) I don't have any real need for the 160 when 400 gives such great results with a stop and a third more speed (though 160 is a fine film.)

I shoot 800 too but could probably live without it if I had to. I certainly don't WANT to, though.
    For black and white film, I am all set. I know what I like and it's easily available. I never have a problem with monochrome film.

With color, I'm a basket case. I LOOOOVE Reala 100. But it is damn expensive now at nearly $10 a roll of 120 film. 160NS is still available for less than half that. I like 400H, but again, VERY expensive at around $9 a roll. Portra 400 is hard to find, and I dont even like it when it's here. I've tried it several times and I just can't connect with the colors. I will try Portra 160 when 160NS finally dries up. Maybe that is better.

I just got back from the lab a bunch of Provia shots and they look great. E6 processing is pretty cheap here in China so I think for color I might settle with Provia 100F and 400X (you can still find a lot of it here) and switch to C41 when back in the US.

I wish color film photography were more simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin