Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,938   Posts: 1,585,646   Online: 840

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The crime of "Driving while black" is a well known phenomenon in many affluent areas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And at many airports it takes about 50 percent longer. For a young arabic man to get through the security checkpoint.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Racial profiling exists, but cops (or fake cops) will hassle anyone with a camera. At least they hassle me and I'm very white.

Shooter
    35mm
    A famous bank robber is said to have said when asked why he robs banks - 'that's where the money is'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll bet a few Chicago politicians said the same thing!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Your 'right' to privacy

Because in a public place you do not have an expectation of privacy. The courtesy thing is another matter but as far as rights go you don't have a right to privacy in a public place.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    I think the issue is: Why should your 'right' to photograph in public supersede my personal right to privacy and not be photographed 'close-up' without my permission? Celebrities may be deemed to have given up such right (and are forever pursued by paparazzi), but I don't believe plain old, regular people have given up their right to privacy.

If nothing else, courtesy would suggest asking a person first if you can photograph them 'close-up',

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Racial profiling exists, but cops (or fake cops) will hassle anyone with a camera. At least they hassle me and I'm very white.
    when are state+local cops and airport security considered fake cops ?

for example, being pulled over on the side of the road for driving the speed limit
    at 10am being kept on the side of the road, detained for 20minutes
    flash light search of my car through the windows being told i was "drunk" and being REFUSED when asked to take a breath-a-lizer ...
    i could keep going, but this has nothing to do
    with personalprivacy rights being violated at an airport ..
    its not a public space but a quazi government agency where i live, they don't allow photography near the supreme court either ...

Shooter
    35mm
    You might have a right to shoot general group shots in 'public' places but you don't have a right to take close--up photos of people without their consent (especially if they are bigger than you).

I'm not a lawyer, but I suspect it might be possible to charge you with harassment.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Rights

I don't think my rights depend on the seize of the other party. So if I am bigger than them then it is OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    You might have a right to shoot general group shots in 'public' places but you don't have a right to take close--up photos of people without their consent (especially if they are bigger than you).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by drgoose View Post
    I don't think my rights depend on the seize of the other party. So if I am bigger than them then it is OK?

My point being if you take a picture of someone who doesn't want to be photographed - and that person is bigger than you - you might be sorry.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin