Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,957   Online: 771

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm at one of those public viewing areas at a major metroplolitan airport. When I arrived the area was locked so I stood near the "no loitering" sign for about 20 minutes before cops appeared. They asked 2 questions: are you waiting for someone? And where is your car (its in a local shop at the moment). Their response was to apologize for not opening the gate on time an to wissh me a happy day. No hassle at all. Interestingly, inside the viewing area are the same "no loitering" signs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaf-Photo View Post
    First, my personal policy is that if anyone objects to being photographed, I will delete/destroy/surrender the exposure.
    What appears to work is surrendering an unexposed roll of film to the policeman or security guard who will be unable to differentiate this from a digital disk according to Stone or momus. I wonder what said policeman would then do with the empty roll of film? Destroy it by opening it and assume that it constitutes its end or attempt to develop "back at the station", discover it is empty and realise he and the "victim" have been duped?

Either way if the picture doesn't remain in the user's hands but gets into any kind of public domain then it sounds as if the user should be wary of ever passing through that same airport again. A duped cop may be an even nastier cop

Let us know how you get on, momus and Stone if you try this, assuming that you remain in a fit state to report back to us on APUG based on how dangerous an altercation with the U.S. police appears to be.

In the "home of the brave" you have to be brave, it appears.

To borrow from the "Magnificent Seven" is it similar to Calvera's story where he concludes that to rob a bank in Texas you have to be a Texan"

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ^^^

I do not lie or cheat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also do not participate in unlawful conversion of my property.

Shooter
    35mm
    ^^^

I do not lie or cheat.
    You were not being accused of either by me. It was simply your quote of ethical behaviour that prompted me to mention that others were offering to dupe the authority figure or were endorsing this action with the strong possibility of serious repercussions.

It might have been that the actions which I thought were unlikely to work for the reasons stated were simply a comical exaggeration to make the point that this form of defiance was a reasonable course of action in the face of what I took to be, a belief that such police/security action was unjustified.

Just a matter of interest what is the law governing photos in an airport in an area where there are no signs prohibiting it?

If the photographer has the law on his side then unless the U.S. is an authoritarian country in which the law doesn't apply to the law enforcers I'd have thought that the only long term action to change things is a form of civil legal action against those i.e. the police/security breaking it.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I forgot to mention one more personal rule.

If I am taking photographs in a public space which is guarded or attended, I start by presenting myself and explaining why I will be taking photographs. I've never been told no, but if I was, I would respect it.

I live in a country, Sweden, with very few legal restrictions on photography, but to me it is more about common sense than law.

If you look at the work of the great masters, very few images required them to break any laws or decorum.
    ^totally agree. Sometimes I have been told it was not allowed and, 99.9% of the time after talking with said personal I'm given the info of whom to contact in order to take photographs in that place. Btw, other than what some may say, the legalities on both sides of the pond are very similar.
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by yurisrey View Post
    ^totally agree. Sometimes I have been told it was not allowed and, 99.9% of the time after talking with said personal I'm given the info of whom to contact in order to take photographs in that place. Btw, other than what some may say, the legalities on both sides of the pond are very similar.
    Great

As to the laws of photography, there are actually quite a lot of variants, both in principle and detail. It's perhaps not so much a America-Europe thing, as different countries may be liberal or restrictive.

In Sweden, Parliament almost passed a bill (unintentionally) that would have outlawed street photography. But the politicians realised it in time and amended it to prohibit only sneak photography in the private domain, which is very reasonable.

Shooter
    35mm
    First, my personal policy is that if anyone objects to being photographed, I will delete/destroy/surrender the exposure.
    Just to return to this for a moment. If you have a film camera then the only thing you can do to comply with your delete/destroy /surrender is to take the whole film out, expose to light and destroy the whole roll

Are you saying you'd do this even if the other 15/35 frames were not of the person who objected to the photo after you had taken the exposure? Your quote above implies that this was an after-the-event occurrence. If you had checked with the person in advance and he/she had objected then none of the above options of delete/destroy/ surrender would have arisen.

If the picture is taken with a digital camera it is simple to show the person, who is objecting, the picture and delete in his presence. No such method is open to a film photographer.

He/she can either destroy the whole film or at best persuade the objector that he will faithfully return the negative to the objector, promising to have made no prints of the offending negative.

Things get very complicated. If there is one person only in a scene then it may be possible to check with that person that he doesn't object but if there are several behind him who will be recognised then do you go to all of them. What do you do about the person walking past as you shoot?If you take a picture of your child on a children's roundabout in a park but there are other children on it do you wait until they all leave or seek out all the parents there to ensure that each is OK with a picture being taken? What do you do at fairgrounds, fetes, street parades etc or any other public gathering?

In the case of the sleeping pilot the fact that he was sleeping in a public place, I'd assume, means that he believed this action was OK to be seen and if so he must accept that it was OK for a picture to be taken.

While a degree of commonsense and courtesy is appropriate we could very quickly and easily end up in a situation where "street/people in public places" or "pictures of public places that included people" photography would be outlawed.

Only "officially sanctioned" people photography would be possible. In U.K. airports and I feel fairly certain in U.S. airports also there is officially sanctioned photography taking place all the time. It is called airport close circuit photography. Perhaps the pilot who was sleeping should have complained to the airport authorities. If being a sleeping pilot gets him into trouble then it is likely to be the fault of the airport cameras.

We used to tell jokes about lack of freedom in the Soviet bloc countries and the myriad of "crimes" that the state could find you guilty of. One such story is about the guide who dutifully chaperoned the Western tourists but who has at the end of the tour to tell them he is to be shot as he had failed the state.

He appears to be strangely cheerful about his impending execution.The tourists are appalled at the news and as he wants them to continue to enjoy themselves he says: "Don't be concerned, it isn't for anything serious"

Has photography in public places entered into this Orwellian 1984 category?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Has photography in public places entered into this Orwellian 1984 category?

pentaxuser
    not it hasn't but there will always be people who are rude and obnoxious with a camera ...
    a few months ago i remember someone who crashed a party and was photographing there
    uninvited and obnoxiously and he was offended when the powers that be asked him to stop.
    and another person was photographing people who asked him to stop, and gave him the finger
    but he continued ...

i think there is an OK way to do this sort of thing, and a not so good way ...

i have done both ... late night eateries and a drunk guy threatened to break my camera
    after he took it from me, i eventually got it back ... and when i was shooting the equiv. of surveillance
    for a newspaper and a security guard got in my face ...
    i was also hired to photograph at a high security military installation .. they took all the serial #s of everything i owned
    ihad to get a high level fbi security clearance, they searched my car inside and out and under ... and every 16 seconds
    after i was set up documenting what i had to document, someone came up to me and demanded to see my camera badge.
    eventually a MP came up to me, we started talking and i gave him pointers on how to take better photographs .. and
    he ran interference for me for 6 hours ( he's with me ) .. sometimes i even call the police and tell them who i am
    and what i am doing so if someone calls them they know who i am, and so they can keep an eye out for me so i don't get into "trouble"
    id rather not be involved with confrontational-people if i don't have to, and i would rather not be
    bothered by the police ... and i don't mind if they are looking out for me ...

nothing to do with 1984, just common sense ..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    not it hasn't but there will always be people who are rude and obnoxious with a camera ...
    a few months ago i remember someone who crashed a party and was photographing there
    uninvited and obnoxiously and he was offended when the powers that be asked him to stop.
    and another person was photographing people who asked him to stop, and gave him the finger
    but he continued ...
    Now this is apples and oranges.

1) Your photographer was apparently in private property where the owner of such property has the right to limit the activities that happen in said property. If the photographer was asked to leave and did not comply he can be charged with trespassing. Now if the party was held at a public place (i.e. park) then neither the host of the party nor the guests had a reasonable expectation of privacy and the photographer had the right to photograph them. If he was getting in their face the guests can call law enforcement and complain and the guy can probably be charged with disturbing the peace or something of that nature.

2)My pilot was in a public place and did not have any expectation of privacy, he was literally sleeping in the middle of a gait in plain view of everybody and he was not being harassed or disturbed since he actually slept through the hole picture taking process.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin