Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,321   Online: 928

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Point Lobos

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm em barrassed to saythat I've been thyere a few times and never came away with a picture worth printing.I'm sure it's me but the place does nothing for me.I miss what the fuzz is all about.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I'm em barrassed to saythat I've been thyere a few times and never came away with a picture worth printing.I'm sure it's me but the place does nothing for me.I miss what the fuzz is all about.
    Little known fact: The Westons took all the pictures, leaving nothing for anyone else. Frankly, I'd be more "em barrassed" that I couldn't find the delete key or spacebar on my keyboard.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Not a "selfie" - the wife took it.
    Indeed – a sub-variant known as the "wifie". There doesn't seem to be any way of avoiding those :

Last edited by ROL; 05-10-2014 at 08:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Though it's well associated with the Weston's, you don't need their style to have fun photographing nature there. Yashica-C; (traveling light). There's enough coves and paths and variety you can find some places in any angle of light or time of day I'm sure.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137596...35556/sizes/z/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137596...37748/sizes/z/

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Now, how the heck did you get that stick to levitate?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Point Lobos is a special place if you have read anything about Weston. The place just reeks of him. If you are familiar with his images, you see them all around you. I went there many times but I eventually stopped because I couldn't get a photo that didn't look like a Weston, and of course, they were second rate Westons at best. One fun thing I did there was to try to find rock formations on Weston beach to spell out his name. I found a few letters, but like many things in life, I never finished it. Here is what was going to pass for a W to get an idea of what the goal was-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1997-012-71.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	87763

The only problem I see with the portrait of you David is your camera is about 8 inches too small to be shooting at Point Lobos.... What would Eddie say?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After my first visit to Pt Lobos, I could see why Edward Weston spent years there. There is so much in a small area, that it takes time to distil it to a set of photographs.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Indeed – a sub-variant known as the "wifie". There doesn't seem to be any way of avoiding those.
    Sure there is: Stay single.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was there for a few days in 2009 and visited the very generous Kim and Gina and saw EW's dark room on Wildcat Hill. I found the house and remnants of Weston's presence quite inspiring but I am a bit more in Ralph's camp regarding Point Lobos. I took a few shots but nothing grabbed me by the throat. I did manage to stumble into a John Sexton workshop while I was there. Maybe this crowd got all the good ones that day and sucked all the energy out of it! Any Apuggers in this group?

Name:	Sexton Lobos.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	87798
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did a "selfie" while I was there! Right on Weston beach:

Name:	Point Lobos Rolleiwide AdoxCHS100(Efke100) Rodinal 1-50 8min30sec 20C 30secAg2x 2013-04 VSmac 90.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	717.0 KB 
ID:	87803

...and with so much rich photographic heritage there it is hard to be inspired in only a short visit. One of the better ones I got from that day:

Name:	Point Lobos Rolleiwide IlfordPanF HC-110dilH 8min 22C 30secAg2x 2013-04 VSmac 9000 Scan-130914-0.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	792.0 KB 
ID:	87805

(in that second one I really wanted to capture that guy taking the photo of his girlfriend in the background there....)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin