Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,606   Online: 1215

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Point Lobos

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pt Lobos is one of my favorite places. It's easy to see how Edward and Brett spent so many years of their lives working around there without exhausting the possibilities, not to mention the countless others of us who've gone chasing the tripod holes.

Also had one of my odder encounters there, I was photographing close ups of rocks near Weston beach and a tourist walking along the trail asked me if I was seeing faces in the rock.
    ...well, no not really, just interesting patterns….

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Envy from the east coast. From all that I gather it must be an inspiring place. As an avid Steinbeck reader, the Monterey area is number one on my list next time I visit CA. Imagine what conversations he and Weston would have.
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    book a workshop with John Sexton;he will take you there and findAA's tripod holes for you.There must be more photo ops in NYCthan at point Lobos.Ruth Bernhard demanded that students in her workshops took pictures no further than 30 feet from their beds;she had a good point;learning to see is better than learning to travel.She sometimes makes an appearance at John's work shops too!What an iconic lady!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    ... I did manage to stumble into a John Sexton workshop while I was there. Maybe this crowd got all the good ones that day and sucked all the energy out of it! Any Apuggers in this group?
    Attachment 87798
    Not in this group but one just like it in 2007. His workshop was more about darkroom techniques than shooting in the field. This was the only field shoot of the whole week. I wasn't "inspired" that much that day but I've been back there since and can easily spend several days there.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    book a workshop with John Sexton;he will take you there and findAA's tripod holes for you.
    But wouldn't you want to find your own tripod holes?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Anyone with any sense of photographic history knows the work of Edward Weston. In his later life he lived near Carmel, CA on a piece of property named Wildcat Hill. (Indeed a hill next to Wildcat Creek.) The house is still there and occupied by grandson Kim Weston.l:
    The Weston house can be rented. An 8x10 Deardorff shooting friend and his wife stayed there recently. Kim spent a lot of time with them showing family work, library, talking about the family.

http://www.kimweston.com/wildcat-hil...-wildcat-hill/

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    The Weston house can be rented. An 8x10 Deardorff shooting friend and his wife stayed there recently. Kim spent a lot of time with them showing family work, library, talking about the family.
    John Powers
    Yes, indeed. We stayed there two nights. Kim and Gina are very gracious hosts. Kim showed us the original house (you actually rent and stay in the guest house, not Edward's old house), spoke a lot about Brett's carvings - and gave me a book about the carvings! And, of course, took us into Edward's darkroom, kept as it was when he used it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have family in the neighborhood, and once had regular gallery gigs there, so I've spent a fair amt of time at Pt Lobos, and can certainly affirm that there is a lot of latitude for individual style, despite the conspicuously scenic nature of the area. I don't think anyone would confuse the work I did there, or at nearby Julia Pffeifer Park, with anyone elses' photography. But logistically, I strongly prefer Pt Lobos off season or on a rainy day. It's a popular spot in the summer and parking can be an issue. You can walk in from the highway if you're careful to avoid the posion oak everywhere. Or show up early, before all the traffic gets knotted up, if you do visit in summer (esp weekends). Most tourists are not early risers. Pick a spot and explore on foot. It's not a large park, but there are enough trails and coves to reward multiple visits. A pair of binoculars will be useful for watching the sea otters.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin