Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,467   Online: 1226

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Point Lobos

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Point Lobos

Anyone with any sense of photographic history knows the work of Edward Weston. In his later life he lived near Carmel, CA on a piece of property named Wildcat Hill. (Indeed a hill next to Wildcat Creek.) The house is still there and occupied by grandson Kim Weston.

Down the road is Point Lobos State Reserve. The Westons (Edward and Brett, et al) were here often, and there are many famous images from the beaches and coves.

I have been to Point Lobos before, but this trip was more than a visit. My wife and I came to work - me with cameras, her with paint brushes. It's really hard to put into words the magic of this place. It is not necessarily because of Edward Weston. I think it must have had the same effect on him as it did us. However, he was able to come here many, many times.

Pick a beach. Stand in one place. Draw an imaginary circle 10-12 feet in diameter and start shooting in any or every direction. Look down, look around. There are photos everywhere.

Spent the day. Stayed past sundown when they were herding us out of the park.

Just magic ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mepointlobos.jpg  
    Last edited by David Brown; 05-10-2014 at 11:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I live not too far away but do not get there often enough. Spent a few hours recently there after a business conference nearby. It was indeed magical. Thanks for sharing.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like it was a great trip overall. Thanks for sharing the event, and your insight too.

Also, you're right.....
    There are photos everywhere.
    Last edited by Trail Images; 05-10-2014 at 10:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, a beautiful place!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a half day visit there and think I would have needed at least a week in the park which is not massive. It is a magical place. But it is far away and I have magical places nearby too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    I had a half day visit there and think I would have needed at least a week in the park which is not massive. It is a magical place. But it is far away and I have magical places nearby too.
    Same here. I am a big advocate of "blooming where you're planted", i.e., you can take photos at home; and, this type of photography is not what I'm really doing anymore. None the less, I feel a great sense of artistic gratitude to EW and especially to Brett Weston, for the development of my vision. So, this was simply a pilgrimage to St. Edward of sorts.

However, once we got there, the magic really did take over and effect us both!

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is that selfie at Weston Beach?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Is that selfie at Weston Beach?
    Not a "selfie" - the wife took it.

But it is, of course, Weston Beach.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did a selfie of my dirty tanlined feet in the water as it was my first time in the Pacific ocean.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I lived in Monterey/ Carmel/ Marina area for 27 years after the Navy was good enough to sent me to the Navy Postgraduate School in 1973-1975 and am still sad that I moved away. I used to go to the Lobos 3 to 4 times a week. What a special time for me. I helped Ansel Adams hold workshops there for a while from time to time and learned a very great deal. Cherish you time there.

Logan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin