Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,120   Online: 841

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Venice IT - Take Panorama Camera? Advice Needed.

I'm looking at one week in Venice in October. I'm thinking of taking my swing lens Noblex 512 panorama camera, but it is slow to operate and needs either a tripod or a beanbag support. My other choice is 66 or 645 gear. Anyone done panos in Venice, and was it worth the effort? Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A few years back I took a Polaroid 123 converted to take 6 x 12 images on 120 roll film to Venice, other parts of northern Italy and Slovenia. I found plenty of opportunity to use it in Venice using the tops/ hand rails of bridges and quays for quick and easy camera support. Obviously I never stepped away from the camera for fear it would end up in a canal, but I'm happy I had it with me. The only caution I would suggest is in how you transport your film. Depending on your itinerary, and what stop overs you may have, you may end up in a country that insists on x-raying your film. I avoided the whole issue by using FedEx to ship my film home. The FedEx office in Venice in close to Piazza San Marco, very near Harry's bar. Or at least it was in 2008. Its a precaution well worth exploring.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Took my 6x17 camera to Venice once but didn't really use it as the weather wasn't good that day, I usually shoot 6x6 there. It can be very busy and packed but if you're staying and can get up early before the tourists and cruise ships then i might be worth using the Nonlex.

I've always visited on a cruise ship (my wife worked onboard) and the views as you enter the Lagoon and then pass through the center to the port are stunning as you have a unique vantage point from the top deck. I set up a video camera to shoot it the last time.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Venice is riddled with narrow alleyways and canals - There would be spots along the major canals and in front of the larger churches that might offer opportunities for wide panoramic shots. It really depends on what sort of thing you are looking for.

I spent a little over a week shooting 5x4 in Venice not too long ago - Never had a problem using a tripod in public areas. Photography inside churches and museums was out of the question... That said, i did find a good vantage point from the bell tower at the Church of San Giorgio Maggiore. No where near as popular as the St Mark's Campanile and I had no trouble using a tripod up there. Tip if you decide to go up the tower. Wait until just after the hour or you'll get deafened by the bell.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You got a floating tripod?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Venice is riddled with narrow alleyways and canals - There would be spots along the major canals and in front of the larger churches that might offer opportunities for wide panoramic shots. It really depends on what sort of thing you are looking for.

I spent a little over a week shooting 5x4 in Venice not too long ago - Never had a problem using a tripod in public areas. Photography inside churches and museums was out of the question... That said, i did find a good vantage point from the bell tower at the Church of San Giorgio Maggiore. No where near as popular as the St Mark's Campanile and I had no trouble using a tripod up there. Tip if you decide to go up the tower. Wait until just after the hour or you'll get deafened by the bell.
    This was my first thought. To the bell tower!!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    This was my first thought. To the bell tower!!
    Stood in the queue to go up St Mark's Campanile, only to get told "no tripods", hence the trip across to San Giorgio.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Venice even in october is very busy. There are endless photo opportunities, but you might struggle unless you are a very early riser to beat the crowds. Whatever you take, my guess is you will wish you had taken something else at some point. It's a tough one. Personally I would be thinking about some flexibility. If you go just with pano, I think you might feel restricted when you get there, particularly as many opportunities come up in small spaces, and there is so much interesting detail around.

jrb

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    I took some panoramic photos in Venice last fall and had a great time. All were handheld except for the night shots. I used a Horizon s3 swing-lens camera. The results can be seen here:
    www.jimblomfield.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the advice and locations everyone!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin