Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,989   Online: 672

Shooter
    35mm

Glacier National Park, MUST NOT miss locations

Hi, I am planning a week and a half trip to Glacier National Park this summer from July 15 thru approx the 24th. For those hard core photographers with Glacier National Park Experience. Can you list the DO NOT miss locations/spots. if mentions sunrise/sunset a big plus. I want to make sure I don't regret not visiting a great spot at the better time. I dont care if it requires short hikes or long hikes. I am also planning to buy a couple of books and do research online, but the word of local or experienced in the park photographers is invaluable.

Thank you so much in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which park - Canada or US?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good on you to get there before the glaciers are gone. That was forecast to be by 2020. I was there (US) a couple of years ago, during the last week of July during a similar snow year. Many of the high trails had just melted out at that time. Get trained in proper bear etiquette and use of bear spray prior to going.

As for the not-to-be-missed, the park will no doubt be quite crowded at high season. Just follow the crowds. They cannot be missed. I was quite the (unintended) celebrity myself, shooting with a 5x7 view camera. Or, let one of the locals be your guide :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Walton Inn! Rustic and a nice place to stay I am told. Visit Whitefish if you can.

The Formulary is just about a 1 hour drive south, if you need any chemicals!

And don't forget the Laughing Horse Lodge in Swan Lake on your way there. All meals are fantastic.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Look for the Ghost towns. Bannock is very good. All of them are outide the Park but see them anyway. There's one just South of he Park that is excellent. See logan Pass, of course.

Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The time period that you will be going could be quite crowded so double your estimated travel time thur/around the park. There are many places along the Going To the Sun road for great scenics. On one trip I had a very nice time at Logan Pass, took the trail out back of the visitor center up to Hidden Lake. While at Logan Pass you might consider hiking a few miles down the Highline trail. Be sure to stop at the pullout for Wild Goose Island in Saint Marys Lake and be sure to visit the Many Glacier Lodge. There are several trails around the MGL that are worth the effort but remember you are in Grizzly bear land so take precautions. The main thing to do---get out of the car---and walk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.bigskyfishing.com/Web-Cams/Web-Cams.htm
    Go to this site for webcams and lots of info about Montana and Glacier N.P. I would advise a good guide book or two

Have fun.
    RandyB

Shooter
    Large Format
    Avalanche Creek

Its a great place to camp as well. Take advantage of the bus service on the Going to the
    Sun road but please check out their final run of the day time or else you will end up hitchhikking back to your motel or campsite.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Visiting Two Medicine Lake in the southeast part of the park was certainly worth the long drive, even for my rather timid passenger.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin