Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,559   Online: 1155

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Slot canyons in southern Utah?

Zebra Canyon, Willis Creek, Spooky Gulch, Peek-a-Boo Gulch, and other slot canyons around that area in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.. Has anyone been to any of these places before? What can I expect? I'm going on a trip there in 3-5 weeks. Will be shooting with 4x5 on Velvia 100 and Ilford FP4 and maybe my 6x9 folder.

Thanks.
    http://www.ziyangphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    take lots of water -- and pay attention to flash flood warnings. Gonna be hot down that way ....i live in Ogden and tend to avoid that part of the state in july-august.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm following this thread with keen interest, as the fabled canyons and twisted landscapes (e.g. Antelope Canyon and Wave Rock?) are on my bucket list for a USA trip. It sounds to me that the laborious nature of setting up a 4x5 (I am a slightly speedier 6x7!) with tripod could well be a serious impediment to the enjoyment of the area by others who are blocked/obstructed or hindered in progress. The description of the canyons as being so narrow as to in cases not being of body width... well, we have a few of those in outback Australia where photographers have become stuck or brought down parts of the walls (soft) by forcibly banging tripod legs in, which then also brings down a mountain of dust. I was not aware large areas around the canyons were sacred; helpful to take that on board and probably worth checking if such places should be photographed at all (that is to say, do traditional owners impose restrictions on access, what can and should not be photographed etc.? like they do in Australia).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Northern AZ and southern UT get monsoons around that time. Pay special attention to the weather, as it's very dangerous to be in the slot canyons if flooding occurs.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin