Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,477   Online: 1054

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I wish I have Nikkor 18/2.8 and 135/2.8

I will go for 35 mm.
    You need to enjoy the journey and do not carry weight and worry about it.

For my next holiday i will take with me in the bag 18-35 ; 28-300 and
    on the camera 24-85 for weight saving on my FullFrame d****al.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    As some might know here, I'm off to a trip to Rome in a short while. A trip specifically to hike around the city and take pictures at will. I am absolutely frozen about what gear to take. In a perfect world, my GF670 and GF670W cameras make the trip. But that's a $4000 camera bag then and I'm worried about theft. Then, my maximum aperture is f/3.5 or f/4.5 and I'm worried about photography in lower light areas. I will not bring a tripod for this trip. Inside churches will be very hard to photograph. I want some nice color shots of all this as well, which makes Delta 3200 as a less than perfect solution.

As much as I detest the idea, my Fuji X100 makes this trip so much simpler. I have tried to settle on what gear to bring now for over 8 days and am still totally undecided. This has never happened before and the feeling is making me feel ill.

Too much stress for what should be a relaxing time.

I also have a Nikon FM2 and 3 lenses. That's tempting too but I am not sure that is the best way forward either. Inside those churches can be very dark. I shot Paris last year with my X100 and routinely used ISO3200 and 6400 settings and that was with an f/2 lens!

Should I just park my film gear and resume using that for more casual times here in Shanghai?

Thanks for your perspective!
    What is the point of buying cameras that take really nice photographs if you're going to leave them at home while you're on holiday? Cameras are meant to be used, not cherished.

The GF670 probably covers 80% of what you would need easily, so I'd just take that with some 400 ISO film and stop 'panicing' [sic].

No, the GF670 will not cover every possible shooting scenario, but you're on vacation; you aren't meant to get every single picture from every possible angle in every kind of light. Just focus on what you can do with what you take and enjoy it; you won't be punished for 'missing' a shot.

I sometimes travel with only my Bronica SQ-A and 105mm f/3.5 lens and I have a perfectly good time. If you find yourself in low light, you can find ways to get shots in low light using books, benches, napkins, etc., if you're resourceful. The GF670 is leaf shutter as well, so you'll be able to hand hold to slower speeds with good technique than my SQ-A, which makes up for the f/3.5 aperture, which really isn't even that slow in the grand scheme of things.

On a note related to churches, I can't remember the situation in Rome, but a lot of churches in Europe don't even permit photography.

Shooter
    35mm

nikon

I'd take the Nikon.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I bought swatch watch , model was Rome , I can send the package to you , because watch is beatiful.

Sent with extreme low frequency signals from northwestern russia.
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skysh4rk View Post
    What is the point of buying cameras that take really nice photographs if you're going to leave them at home while you're on holiday? Cameras are meant to be used, not cherished.
    That is my view. "A ship in a harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are for.." and all that.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    That is my view. "A ship in a harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are for.." and all that.
    I'm not on vacation per se, rather it's a business trip to London with a side trip over to Rome for pleasure. I would bring my medium format gear if I had my family with me. Going solo I don't feel as comfortable.

Shooter
    35mm
    I took this shot in the cathedral in Koln in Germany with an FM2 and a 50mm f1.4 (probably at f1.4) on Velvia 50 handheld. Its certainly doable. Grab film and a camera that you like and let them guide your photos rather than fret what you 'couldve' gotten with a different camera. Have fun!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403182255693.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	89792

Sent from my LG-P710 using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I travelled to Italy (including Rome) all by my lonesome for 2 weeks and never had a worry about theft (that's true of the 30 countries I've travelled to by myself). I think theft is less likely since you tend to be more aware of yourself and your belongings when you are alone rather than when you are with other people. For that trip I brought a 28mm, 50mm, and 105mm for my Nikon FE and used the first two the most often, although the 105mm came in handy on occasion. I'm hoping to go back in the next year or two so I can photograph it properly in MF. Why not bring the Fuji X100 for low-light stuff, and the GF670 for everything else?

That being said, I'm sure you'll get many different answers, in the end, it all depends on what you feel you need for this trip, and what is most comfortable for you to take.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    While on a vacation trip to Italy two years ago we spent four days in Rome. While in Rome I used only public transportation and carried two Hasselblads one with a 50mm lens and one with a 150. In town I used a nondescript backpack large enough for the two and never had a problem. I remained alert to my surroundings and held the pack in front of me when on the very crowded metros. I photographed whatever I wanted and checked the pack at museums when required. When checked I closed the two zippers with a lock. My other gear was left in the hotel as were the two cameras and lenses when we were out and no photography was planned. Last year I did the same in Barcelona and have done the same as well in the US, Canada, New Zealand and a number of European cities. I use a Tamrac photographic backpack which fits in the overhead compartments to hold everything and take the empty day pack to use when needed. I take a small but very sturdy carbon-fiber tripod that I have used in many cities as well.

Fortunately in all my years of travel no one has bothered me when photographing. At least so far.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skysh4rk View Post
    On a note related to churches, I can't remember the situation in Rome, but a lot of churches in Europe don't even permit photography.
    Most of the churches in Rome have signs up stating "no photography". A few will allow it, but do not permit tripods.

One of the interesting places worth a visit should be Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini - More specifically, the Crypt located via a small side door. Note: Photography not permitted, and you will get shouted at if attempted.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin