Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,599   Online: 827

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by skysh4rk View Post
    What is the point of buying cameras that take really nice photographs if you're going to leave them at home while you're on holiday? Cameras are meant to be used, not cherished.
    +1000 for this! I'd probably take the Nikon kit on this trip, unless I had a special reason to shoot medium format.

Here come the personal anecdotes...

Ages ago, when I worked at a camera store, I had a customer with plenty of money to spend. He had a Nikon F4 (at the time, the top-of-the-line Nikon) and lots of nice lenses. He came into the store one day, asking what cheap Nikon kit he should buy for his month-long trip to Alaska. My advice to him was, "Take the F4 and your good lenses! It's a once-in-a-lifetime trip, take the best camera you've got." He left the store that day without a new camera but with lots of film.

During my travels, I've often gotten naysayer "advice" like "Don't take your camera to the Mission District (in San Francisco), it'll get stolen." I took my camera to the Mission District, made lots of street photos, and found the people very friendly. Of course, I was alert and cautious, as always, but it was fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Most of the churches in Rome have signs up stating "no photography". A few will allow it, but do not permit tripods.

One of the interesting places worth a visit should be Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini - More specifically, the Crypt located via a small side door. Note: Photography not permitted, and you will get shouted at if attempted.
    When I was in Kutna Hora - in church with similar bizarre decoration ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kutn%C3%A1_Hora ) - photography was allowed - there was a professional photo shotting with tripod, flash - vampire costume ... nobody was upset. But they are Czech - very cool people .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    There's no shame nor harm in using a digital camera. The Fuji makes nice images. If you want images and travelling light, take the Fuji. If you want images to print in your darkroom, and still travel relatively light, go with the Nikon. Otherwise, take your expensive gear. Just make sure it's insured.
    I second that. I shoot film primarily in relaxed situations that are close to home or in places where I've already been. Juggling rolls of film, worrying about exposure to x-rays and everything else doesn't make for enjoyable shooting. Earlier this year I made my first visit to California. While I did bring a couple small film cameras (and a quantity of film I got hand-checked as carry-on), I didn't end up shooting a single roll of film on the trip. Instead, I shot everything on my Fujifilm X-E2. I don't regret doing so, and I am happy with many of the photos I made.

Conversely, I'll soon be heading back home to New Hampshire/ Vermont for vacation. As I'll be in my old stomping grounds, and have already photographed all the obvious stuff over the years, I'm planning to shoot all or mostly film on this trip. I plan to take fewer more meaningful photographs on the trip and film is perfect for a relaxed pace.
    Last edited by lancekingphoto; 06-19-2014 at 09:08 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Grammar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got plenty of digital gear. I let my wife have it. I would never be without B&W film and miss the chance to make my own darkroom prints of an important life event. But that's just me. I'm going to Hawaii in a month and have been hemming and hawing for months about what actually to bring. Not bringing a film camera is not one of the options.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    I would never be without B&W film and miss the chance to make my own darkroom prints
    Once I was in Venice and I wanted to take color photo to show it later to my wife (I use only B&W film) - building was red and strong with color. I put my Leica away, took my phone with 2 hands, composing ... and in that second one little girl was running in frame, one couple stopped and kissed between 2 round windows ... perfect. While I got my Leica back in my hands - too late. So lesson: no-no digi snapshots, always film, and camera always ready.

Shooter
    35mm
    Compromise, Ratty. You know you'll want to shoot some film, so take the Nikon equipment and relax. Those fast lenses with a few rolls of 3200 for the interiors will do you just fine. It's not too heavy, and not too intrusive.
    I have taken film through X-rays up to 8 times with no visible effects at all.
    It's a fantastic city, don't fret, enjoy yourself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Personally, I don't know what so scary about Italy. Yes, people steal stuff. They do everywhere, but it's more opportunistic there. So don't be an idiot and leave your stuff everywhere.

Personally, and no offence to majority of people on this site here... I would be more scared to bring and use my cameras in USA for example. I don't feel like having gun pointed at me etc. and I would bring it anyway, because I got my cameras to take photos, not to hide them.

I would bring one medium format and one digital or 35mm Nikon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Again, it's not really about the gear, it's about what you intend to do with the images. If you want to print in a darkroom, the digital camera is out (mostly) and if you're only happy with medium format output in your darkroom, the 35mm is out. Threats of theft aside, why do something you know won't make you happy?

If you mainly want to share images with friends and family outside of the limited space of APUG, take the Fuji. Those of us who don't hold our nose at digital output will embrace the images. Those who can't, well, won't.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the first issue is how much weight and bulk are you willing to carry as you "hike around the city and take pictures at will.". Personally, I think too much actually reduces photographic opportunity as opposed to increasing it.

If it was me (and it's not), I'd bring a 35mm body, a 28mm, 50mm (fast), and 90mm macro. I might even trade the 28 and 90 for a good zoom. And a good P&S (like your x100). And maybe a monopod. It would all go in a non-photo sling or backpack. But that's me.

I wouldn't obsess on the theft issue, but I wouldn't ignore it. The more you gear you have the more likely it is that some of it will be unattended, even for a moment or two. Especially since Rome is a side trip.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd bring the Fuji GF670. Add another voice to the chorus for "cameras are meant to be used, not admired on a glass shelf". I brought a pair of Rolleiflex 2.8E's with me to Paris. I was never worried because I used reasonable caution while on public transit and in crowded spaces. My bag does not look like a stereotypical camera bag but more like a generic messenger bag that any student might have.

This was a grab shot, hand-held, at Ste. Chapelle on the Ile de la Cite, using Kodak Portra 800.

Proof that you can get good hand-held shots of church interiors with film. And I highly recommend Portra 800 for a fast color film. If needed, you can push it to 1600, but that's not really necessary.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin