Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,456   Online: 867

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Panicing over Rome

As some might know here, I'm off to a trip to Rome in a short while. A trip specifically to hike around the city and take pictures at will. I am absolutely frozen about what gear to take. In a perfect world, my GF670 and GF670W cameras make the trip. But that's a $4000 camera bag then and I'm worried about theft. Then, my maximum aperture is f/3.5 or f/4.5 and I'm worried about photography in lower light areas. I will not bring a tripod for this trip. Inside churches will be very hard to photograph. I want some nice color shots of all this as well, which makes Delta 3200 as a less than perfect solution.

As much as I detest the idea, my Fuji X100 makes this trip so much simpler. I have tried to settle on what gear to bring now for over 8 days and am still totally undecided. This has never happened before and the feeling is making me feel ill.

Too much stress for what should be a relaxing time.

I also have a Nikon FM2 and 3 lenses. That's tempting too but I am not sure that is the best way forward either. Inside those churches can be very dark. I shot Paris last year with my X100 and routinely used ISO3200 and 6400 settings and that was with an f/2 lens!

Should I just park my film gear and resume using that for more casual times here in Shanghai?

Thanks for your perspective!

Shooter
    35mm
    There's no shame nor harm in using a digital camera. The Fuji makes nice images. If you want images and travelling light, take the Fuji. If you want images to print in your darkroom, and still travel relatively light, go with the Nikon. Otherwise, take your expensive gear. Just make sure it's insured.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    There's no shame nor harm in using a digital camera. The Fuji makes nice images. If you want images and travelling light, take the Fuji. If you want images to print in your darkroom, and still travel relatively light, go with the Nikon. Otherwise, take your expensive gear. Just make sure it's insured.
    That's just it. None of my gear is insured. My US carrier won't insure my stuff while I live in China and I dont trust any Chinese insurance company. Not helpful I know.

Will the Nikon work for me inside the churches of Rome? I'm thinking that ISO400 film won't cut it. I have a 24mm f/2 lens so it's reasonably fast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I was in Rome and in Paris 50mm summicron with iso 400 film was enough for all except inside of churches. Take FM2 and some small tripod (one of those 5$ cheap small ones - and you put in on a bench or chair in churches).
    With iso 400 and f2 inside of churches I was getting around 1/2 sec reading, if I remember correctly.
    About digital: in life always there is an easy way and a proper way.

Shooter
    35mm
    I honestly would be very worried as well in Rome, concerning theft. I suggest maximum alert especially at train stations. If I were you I would bring only cheap gear, for peace of mind.
    Last edited by mauro35; 06-19-2014 at 02:28 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you. I'm now inclined to bring my Nikon over the Fujifilm medium format rangefinders. Better safe than sorry in Rome.

Question: Would an 85mm f/2 lens be useful in Rome? I find it useful in Asia but would like to hear from others who might have shot in Rome. I have a 24mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.2 lens for the Nikon which are going to come along, but am not sure whether or not to bring the 85.

One last question: Will film get scanned by X rays entering any buildings? My film will be scanned 3 times in airports and I'd rather it not see any more scans if at all possible.

Thanks!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just take GF670 and FM2 and one lens.

I normally take bunch of gear but it always stays in hotel room. In the end I always end up with Hasselblad + 80mm lens + 3 backs (I usually only end up using 2 of them) and Pentax MX and 43mm lens (or 50mm).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Question: Would an 85mm f/2 lens be useful in Rome?
    If you will take photos of people on the street - then yes. For building - not so much. I had my 105/2.5 with me on nikon, but I used 50mm most of the time, and 105 sometimes for people on the streets and squares.
    As I don't like to change lenses - I bring always 2 cameras with 50mm and 105mm (or 90mm). In that way I don't change the lenses, and have 2 cameras in case one fails.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two years ago I took two OM-1n with 28mm f/3.5 and 35mm f/2.8 zuikos, but never used the 35mm and left the one OM-1n and 35mm in hotel room.

Together I had 20 rolls of APX 100 and I never shoot anything in low light. So I may recommend some faster films, slower films and backup gear with a lens.

Rome is a beautiful city and you may find an opportunity to take photos on every corner.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Should I just park my film gear and resume using that for more casual times here in Shanghai?

Thanks for your perspective!
    No, don't park the film gear.

As an analogy it sounds to me like you are just having a tough time deciding on which "girlfriend" to take.

If it were me I'd take the FM2 unless I felt I just had to have medium format film.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin