Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,416   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Heading NYC should I bother taking a camera

In October I'll be going to NYC for a couple of weeks with family. While topic heading was younger in cheek I interested in getting some ideas for areas to take images and see some image galleries.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Galleries? Bonni Benrubi, Throckmorton, SoHo Gallery, Hous Projects, ICP, MoMA, The Metropolitan Museum to name a couple. As for areas to photograph, well... it would be easier to define where NOT to take pictures than places of interest. The entire city is extremely photogenic. I'm sure you will be spending much of your time in Manhattan, which is all fine and good - tons of stuff to see and do there. But don't skip going to other parts of the city. I recently started venturing out into Brooklyn on my trips up there and there is so much to see there as well. Definitely take the subway across and get off to wander around DUMBO (which stands for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) - there are all kinds of neat restaurants and shops in the area, and historic buildings too, plus it gives you a chance to see the Manhattan skyline. You can also walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, an iconic structure and a bucket-list item for many people. If you're with your whole family, take the subway all the way out to Coney Island to walk the boardwalk, have a hot dog and fries at Nathan's, and ride the rides at Luna Park.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I take a camera where ever I go. Never know when opportunity knocks.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would at least have a decent point and shoot camera with me. My first choice would be my Olympus Stylus 120 (smaller), followed by my Pentax IQ zoom 140m. I haven't been into the city in years, might have to make the trip soon.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Major Winogrand exhibit at the Met right now...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The classic bridges (esp. the long spans on the East River): Brooklyn, Manhattan, Williamsburg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridges...ity#East_River
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm

I (heart) NY

Take half the photo gear and twice the money. But it is a very photogenic place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get a small P&S and wear it on your belt. That way you can really enjoy yourself with your family yet still can take quick shots of the trip. Like other have said, as a life time New Yorker (except for the last year), you'll have fabulous shots to take where ever you go. Here are shots taken throughout the 5 boros, mostly with a P&S, a few m4/3, just from me wondering around doing other things. You don't have to focus on taking pictures specifically to get a nice assortment. Good luck and have lots of fun in the Big Apple.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/tags/nyc/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    On street corners all around Manhattan there are large canisters of liquid nitrogen. I am told these are used in servicing the underground phone lines. Make a project of photographing these canisters. Nothing else is worth photographing in New York.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Click on the " Group " tab.

Scroll down to the " Manhattan MeetUp " group

Post a day, and time that you would be available.

We can " MeetUp ", eat " Dirty Water Dogs " and drink " Labrador LegHumpers " !

~Ron @ Phone Number = 406-322-FILM

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin