Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,640   Online: 791

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice thread....i'm home sick now as my home the past 42 years before moving to China was Chicago.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    Actually, unless you're used to the heat, July in New Orleans can be overwhelming. Forgot about that.
    Suffocating would be a good word to describe it!
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by f/stopblues View Post
    I have a Southwest voucher for a modest sum and will be flying out of Kansas City in September. I'll be staying Friday and Saturday night and it'll just be myself, my Rolleiflex, and my Speed Graphic.

Here's my short list so far: Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans, Detroit.

What would be most fun to wander and shoot for a couple days? I like a little grit in a city and don't typically shoot the pretty flowers and buildings. Also, I won't have a car, so walkability and public transport is a consideration.

I know this is highly subjective, but I'm curious what thoughts you all have.

Thanks!
    NYC. Far out in brooklyn, and around the old navy yards can be amazing. Harlem has some incredible sight lines with row houses that ooze pre-war character. Avoid midtown/ the mall of williamsburg, and you'll be fine, regarding boring bullshit tourism subject matter.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    An alternative option to consider - come to Washington DC. It's less sauna-like than New Orleans, is very accessible via public transit, and has lots of unique and characterful neighborhoods to explore without putting life and limb at risk.
    My wife and I went to DC back around 2008 (I think). Early July, the heat & humidity was not oppressive that year. Everywhere we'd go, folks would ask "Where are you (visiting) from?" We would reply "From the SF Bay area"...and we would immediately be THANKED by the natives for bringing some of our weather with us, because DC was ordinarily so miserable in most years about that time!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    We're in the middle of another temperate July, relatively speaking. AUGUST, on the other hand, is almost always universally a swampy armpit, no matter how many San Franciscans visit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the replies! That Chicago suggestion is tempting the more I think of it, and I hadn't considered non-Manhattan NYC. I've only visited with friends/family and they all like to stick to the guide book.. ugh. Those mentions of New Orleans food are speaking to my empty stomach right now. And Boston is a total unknown to me so I'll have to investigate.

I was actually out in D.C. just last week and loved what I was able to see! Too bad work got in the way of all my fun except for a couple quick jaunts. It's on my revisit list for sure.

All in all, I think my thread to narrow things down has done the opposite. You guys are so helpful!
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The next time you're coming DC way, give me a shout and I'll be happy to play tour guide. I know the off-the-beaten-track stuff and can take you into places you wouldn't know about from guidebooks. Including some really good (and cheap) ethnic food.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Just to throw another wrench into it, I'll suggest Toronto. It will be nice and cool there, and there is decent transportation. Not as good as Chicago or NYC, but decent enough for a few days. Going to Toronto is like being in a foreign country!

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Just to throw another wrench into it, I'll suggest Toronto. It will be nice and cool there, and there is decent transportation. Not as good as Chicago or NYC, but decent enough for a few days. Going to Toronto is like being in a foreign country!

Kent in SD
    You might want to re-think the assessment of Toronto as being cool - I was there the last weekend in June and it was around 95F every day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Boston would be a good choice for walkability and subject matter variety there are lots of transportation choices as well, and the airport is very close.
    Hotels are a little expensive, but not NY expensive.
    A possibility no one has mentioned so far would be Indianapolis. The downtown area is very walkable, though public transport is not so hot, getting into town from the airport and back would be easy enough.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin