Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,590   Posts: 1,545,952   Online: 1243

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Airline voucher in hand, need destination!

I have a Southwest voucher for a modest sum and will be flying out of Kansas City in September. I'll be staying Friday and Saturday night and it'll just be myself, my Rolleiflex, and my Speed Graphic.

Here's my short list so far: Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans, Detroit.

What would be most fun to wander and shoot for a couple days? I like a little grit in a city and don't typically shoot the pretty flowers and buildings. Also, I won't have a car, so walkability and public transport is a consideration.

I know this is highly subjective, but I'm curious what thoughts you all have.

Thanks!
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Easy answer. Chicago. It's made for a Rolleiflex. Go ask Vivian Meier, at her exhibit in the Washington Library. Here's a few shots I did with a vintage Leica IIIc a couple of months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3JEY6SiFKA

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of the four you mention, I've only been to New Orleans. It does have some nice grit, as well as flowers with wrought iron, etc…
    If I had spare time in September, I'd go to New England. For walkability and history, Boston is fantastic. The weather can be pretty good then, too (though it isn't predictable more than two days out). Farther north, trees will be turning, but being carless will be more difficult.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My own opinion: Avoid Detroit.
    (Have you considered beautiful Bakersfield, California?)

All kidding aside, I'd go to Boston or the Maine coast.

Kris

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not much to see in Memphis, trust me. The downtown is about two blocks long. Nashville is okay but a bit spread out.

I have a life long love of Chicago. It has to be one of the most photogenic cities in America. The people, the places. It's the best.

One word of advice: you'll get so much more work done if you just take the Rolleiflex. Lugging around a Speed Graphic on the off chance you might use it is a waste of time. Unless, of course, that's the camera with which you see well and make your best work. I'd take medium format and as many rolls as I could carry.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Having been to all the cities you mentioned, New Orleans is best if you don't have a car. Even so, it's still not easy to get around, but there are nice walkable areas. The other cities are unworkable without a car. The Chicago suggestion is worth considering--you can easily get around without a car, and the photographic possibilities are endless.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd second Barry's vote - Chi-town or Nawlins. Chicago is probably the most public-transit friendly of the bunch, but New Orleans has a unique flavor all its own.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    New Orleans. I've been to all the places you mentioned (used to live in N.O.) and it's not even close! Just stick to the Quarter, The Garden District, and the cemeteries and you will get hundreds of one of a kind photographs. The roast beef po boys are great at Charlies in the Quarter (bread is all wrong, but the sandwich is wonderful), and the gumbo and bread pudding are perfect at ACME, also in the quarter. Go early to avoid a big line. Avoid Mother's, which has gone downhill. Ride the river boats, hear some great jazz at Snug Harbor, listen to the blues most everywhere, ride the street cars....how you gonna beat that? But if you want safe and boring, don't come. If you don't have a sense of the absurd and the wild, don't come either.
    Last edited by momus; 07-24-2014 at 12:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Actually, unless you're used to the heat, July in New Orleans can be overwhelming. Forgot about that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    An alternative option to consider - come to Washington DC. It's less sauna-like than New Orleans, is very accessible via public transit, and has lots of unique and characterful neighborhoods to explore without putting life and limb at risk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin