Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,292   Posts: 1,681,300   Online: 1110

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Re-visiting locations for perfect shot?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if I'm beating a dead horse.. Have you guys re-visited locations to photograph to try to get the perfect shot? Those crazy dramatic clouds are doing their thing today, I have the urge to visit that cemetery again armed with a roll of Delta 100 120 and my Rollei.

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why ask us when you obviously should be shooting.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum Aevum

“What is a master but a master student? And if that's true, then there's a responsibility on you to keep getting better and to explore avenues of your profession.”
    -Neal Peart-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, many times.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Absolutely--the light and weather make or break a location.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have been going to the same stretch of Prairie Creek for over 35 years. Still looking for perfection (but not too hard -- I'm not going to let that get in the way of a great image!)

I found these trees (actually three redwoods snags) back in the early 1980's, then "lost" them for a decade or so when the trail was moved away from the creek. Then I found them one day while carrying an 11x14 up the creek...made a nice image with the 11x14, but returned again with my boys and the 8x10...

Two versions -- carbon print and a platinum/palladium print (using different negatives for each process). The neg for carbon printing (on the left) was 60 seconds exposure time, the negative for Pt/pd was a 30 sec exposure time.

Can't say I am done with those snags yet...

PS -- When I am out and about, I tend to look for light to capture on film, rather than a particular place -- so I tend to just walk about looking at the light, rather than looking for a specific object/place to photograph.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Three Boys, Three Snags_8x10C.jpg   Three Boys and Three Snags_8x10P.jpg  
    Last edited by Vaughn; 09-22-2014 at 04:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks guys, There is a huge thunder head cloud making it way into town near that cemetery, should be perfect by the time get out of work.

Todd

Shooter
    35mm
    OP, sometimes I do, but I'm more into street and doc ok. Either you get it or you don't. Shelby Lee Adams revisited families for years re-taking the same photos he didn't like...so why not you?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Absolutely yes. Whether it be for having been thwarted by unsatisfactory weather, wandering people, bad light or some other circumstance, or even returning to a place to test out a new lens or film, no harm in doing so. But after a long period of time going back to that one place you will get bored of it and need to expand horizons. Going back with a purpose or a plan is the best approach. Much of my experimental work and equipment testing has taken place in just two pockets of a rainforest in conditions many people would shy away from. It teaches you a lot about the management and measurement of light, its quality and nuances. And the environment, enriched with leeches in winter and snakes in summer, educates as to the dangers of the Australian bush. Probably my first visit was back in the mid-1980s. I really could not hazard a guess how many times I have returned. And I must be due for another trip yonder soon...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I THINK MOST PEOPE REVISIT. How many times? i do not know??? but, I can safely assume "that awesome" photograph you just looked at , was probably a re-shoot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have places I revisit for years now to get that shot right. Will I ever get what I want? Probably not. Does it get old to revisit the same location? No, not to me. Even though I am not always taking an image back home, I start taking a learning experience back home. I started keeping tighter records of what I shoot and how I shot it and it helps me immensely to understand what to do better the next time or why I like certain renditions better than others ...

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk
    ---
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    ~ Ansel Adams

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin