Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,959   Posts: 1,632,395   Online: 724

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Photography in Kazakhstan

I know this is a bit out there, but I am contemplating a move to Astana the Kazakh capital. Does anyone know if it is possible me to get supplies, darkrooms etc out there?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    you will learn when you arrive there , I bet all soviet cameras been collected for 50 cent each and went to Europe 20 years ago. I think you can find Smena or Tasma film there still fresh. There is Canon Kazakistan site , you can contact with them and ask your questions.
    During your visit , you can expect 20 officials watching your every move Kazakistan is advanced country and you can order everything from Russia or shops.
    ,___,
    [O.o]
    /)__)
    -“–“-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    you will learn when you arrive there , I bet all soviet cameras been collected for 50 cent each and went to Europe 20 years ago. I think you can find Smena or Tasma film there still fresh. There is Canon Kazakistan site , you can contact with them and ask your questions.
    During your visit , you can expect 20 officials watching your every move Kazakistan is advanced country and you can order everything from Russia or shops.
    Thanks for the advice. I really wanted to know whether it's worth shipping out my enlarger and film developing tanks etc, can I pick it all up for cheap there?

What do you mean about the officials??? I've heard there's a lot of beaurocracy out there... I'm a bit worried that if I want to spend a day a week taking, printing, and selling photos I won't be allowed - assuming I have a work visa.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Where do you live ?

Shipping charges can be very high or low with selecting the airway company.

I met with a man from Kazakistan with a very big toy auto and he says kazak airways charges very low , 50 dollars for enlarger size toy auto.

I bet you cant find any high quality enlarger , lens , camera , tank etc there. Russia charges dollar for these equipment and really hard to trust their websites and product quality.

Tasma is friendly and if you keep asking for prices , they responds at third time. They sell 35mm aero panchromatic film in big rolls but very cheap.

Cinema equipment is cheaper than photographic cameras and you can buy a 16mm krssnodar movie camera and use as single frame and than send to Mosfilm Moscow for processing and scan.

Mosfilm is worlds best , you can buy a russian 35mm cine film camera and lomo lens and go.

I bet you will live great difficulty , expenses and malfunctioned products at photography.

Russian mafia collected everything and sold to east europe and they sold to west and than to america.

Ukranian sites are very expensive also.

Buy a good Bolex 16 mm camera and few lenses for 200 dollars and take single frame and send to moscow for processing. Few thousands of frames and cost you 40 dollars.

I bet nobody invest bw art there and they love strong colors and digital feel.

I think most lightweight solution with high quality isa digital camera body and lomo lens anamorphic.
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 03-12-2015 at 05:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    ,___,
    [O.o]
    /)__)
    -“–“-

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you want to invest in cine cameras , 35mm Konvas was on ebay for 75 dollars , before go there , register to konvas mailing list , there is rafael pankreatu from ukraine and oleg from ukraine is extremelly knowlegable about mounts , motors , synch , electric , mechanical parts of these cameras.

Your best bet is cine cameras. You can order books from VGIK moscow institute of cinematography.

Cinema . wow !
    ,___,
    [O.o]
    /)__)
    -“–“-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I asked my niece (nephew's wife) who is from Kazakhstan and who still has family there. This is what she said:

I am not sure how things are going in Astana. It is a capitol but a little behind our previous capitol Almaty (where we live). I asked my dad, who ironically is signing up for the photo class now. He said that it used to be that way but now digital tech is overtaking, so he wasn't sure. He's waiting for a digital camera that we got for him here and once he goes back to the instructor he'd ask.

Will let you know if she finds out more.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm
    I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Countries from eastern Europe have let down film for digital so fast, I doubt you'll be able to find one single roll of any film, let alone darkroom supplies.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow, thanks for all the really helpful replies everyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not encouraging news. My niece browsed through photo related forums and could not find any specifics on darkroom or film photography. Doesn't mean there isn't any, but probably not high profile. One person did respond, saying that "he didn't have anything related to traditional photography and didn't think anyone in town had something like that.". Of course, many photographers here are painfully unaware of traditional, film-based photography.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm
    Countries from eastern Europe
    What Kazakhstan has to do with Eastern Europe?
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1 MD, OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin