Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,966   Online: 783

Thread: coastal main

Shooter
    4x5 Format

coastal main

hello all,

I will be visiting coastal Maine towards the end of May.

I am looking for advice on locations that I might not have seen before.

My main point of reference for the traditional rocky shoreline is Pemaquid Point near the lighthouse. I've been there a couple of times, and it's fantastic.

Can anyone suggest other areas to check out?

I am probably not going any farther north than Deer Isle ( Stonington).

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Costal Maine

Sorry about the typo on Maine ( main ) - I do know better...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

photo locations Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hayden
    hello all,

I will be visiting coastal Maine towards the end of May.

I am looking for advice on locations that I might not have seen before.

My main point of reference for the traditional rocky shoreline is Pemaquid Point near the lighthouse. I've been there a couple of times, and it's fantastic.

Can anyone suggest other areas to check out?

I am probably not going any farther north than Deer Isle ( Stonington).
    Terry,

Beautiful area, honeymooned there 13 years ago. My wife and I will be taking photo and painting workshops near there in August. Earlier this year I had a thread asking about books on photography in a the area and a purchasing source.

This link should get you to the discussion a source and a booklist. http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...ht=books+Maine

If it doesn't search here on "Books Maine".

"The Photographer's guide to the Maine Coast" $17.95 is a town by location guide to what the authors felt would be good shots. Each book has it's advantages. I'll be happy to give more details if you like.

Enjoy,
    John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A few I like

Popham Beach - not rocky but beautiful - bang a right at Bath. Actually, if you go down either side of the Kennebec you get some great places. Reid State park is on the other side.
    Bailey Island -same kind of right, but at Brunswick.
    East Blue Hill, just a bit outside it's more recognised namesake. Quiet and quaint.
    Bit further east- Bass Harbor light, on the quiet side of Mt Desert past Southwest Harbor. Very dramatic, very much photographed, but there is always a new way to view it... who knows?

All directions assume you are heading NE to start

You can't really fail on the coast of Maine. If the shooting isn't immediately spectacular, just slide into some hole-in-the-wall cove and you'll find plenty of great shots. Stay away from the big name places, like Bar Harbor, the scene of cruise-ship mania.

Whitey

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Check out Marshall Point and Monheagan Island. Stop by and say hi to Jon Bailey, www.jonathan-bailey.com.

Don't get too terribly caught up in picture taking, there is much to enjoy with and without a camera.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    35mm

Maine macro

I put a 50mm macro lens on my camera last year and substantially slowed down our progress along any of the trails we walked. The flora along the Maine coast is very, very photogenic. Especially the tiny stuff, which typically is what grows along rugged coastlines.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Terry,

I don't have any suggextions of where to go, but I must say I'm envious. I proposed to my wife at Pemaquid Point with the tide coming in, and the waves crashing on the rocks. I'm so romantic! This was more years ago than I like to think about. Might be time to go back...

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Check out the Maritime Museum in Bath. Very easy to find off Route 1. $10 entry. The folks there are extremely friendly. You can easily spend a day looking and shooting. Large format shooters will be glad to know they have no problem with your tripods. I asked if they allowed tripods around the grounds and they responded; "Sure. Why would we have a problem with tripods?"

There are several buildings. Lots of old wood milling equipment and other exhibits. I liked the way they displayed the equipment so it's easy to photograph without a lot of signs and labels getting in the shot. Also, the way they display with available light makes the settings look very realistic -- be sure you have a tripod with you.

Bill Riley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marshall Point Light, beautiful downtown Port Clyde, Rockland and the Farnsworth Museum (fabulous collection of Wyeth paintings), the Olson House, Rockport and the Maine Photographic Workshop facilities (including the Maine Photographic Resource) and Tim Whelan's Bookstore, the backroad from Rockport to Camden has a beautiful cemetary and an interesting herd of Belted Galloway cows, Camden (just outside of town is the only vineyard/winery in Maine - worth a visit and a taste), Fort Knox in Bucksport.
    Louie

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin