Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,210   Online: 883

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Visiting Chicago

I have a business trip to Chicago next week and then staying through the weekend. Already doing the museums, Art Institute and Second City. Any photo things I should know about? Any good camera store near the Loop? (Staying near Navy Pier).

Cheers

David Brown

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    I have a business trip to Chicago next week and then staying through the weekend. Already doing the museums, Art Institute and Second City. Any photo things I should know about? Any good camera store near the Loop? (Staying near Navy Pier).
    David,

You might want to check out Millennium Park. Also, there is a good view of the skyline by the Alder Planetarium. Lastly, there is Calumet Photo off of Division Street. But if you are pretty much confined to downtown try Central Camera.

http://central-camera.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Calumet is on Goose Island - it's a bit hard to find if you aren't familiar with Chicago, and the last time I was there over a weekend it was closed Saturday and Sunday. OTOH, there is Central Photo on South Wacker - it's worth the experience to wander in there! Nothing there has changed since I lived in Chicago in 1969.

Walk around the loop - be sure to get to the Picasso sculpture at Civic Center Plaza. The Auditorium Theater and Orchestra Hall on Michigan Avenue are imposing buildings, The Michigan Avenue bridge over the Chicago River is fabulous, and if the weather is nice, that's a gorgeous place to hang out and watch the world walk by. Walk up the "million dollar mile" on North Michigan to the Water Tower (across from the Hancock Building).

If you have a rental car, drive north on Lakeshore Drive to Evanston and Winetka to the Bahia Temple. Only place like that in North America.

Shooter
    Large Format
    you might want to check out frank lloyd wright's house if you can get there ... its in oak park -
    http://www.oprf.com/flw/H&S.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Columbia's photo gallery has a current exhibition of either Friedlander or Winnogrand up now. Google search to get details. It is right on Michigan Ave at about Jackson I believe, just a few blocks south of the Art Institute.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    4x5 Format

BUT DO NOT PASS UP....

Cheezborger! Cheezborger! Cheezborger!

Make sure you go to the real one below the magnificent mile!

joe

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    If you have lots of money to spare, and LOVE food, make sure you go to Charlie Trotters restaurant! What a culinary experience that was! Outrageously expensive, but what a treat!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Forgot to mention... You should try the double cheezeborger, coke, regular chips. That's the classic!

NO FRIES, Chips!
    NO PEPSI, Coke!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto
    ... there is Central Photo on South Wacker - it's worth the experience to wander in there! ...
    ... Orchestra Hall on Michigan Avenue ...
    Thanks, all!

There's Central Camera on Wabash. Is that the one?

I was planning on Orchestra Hall for a concert, but the CSO isn't playing the nights I'm there. Pity.

Cheers

David

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    oooh!...oooh! <pounding chest> I think I'm have-n-ah hawt-attack!
    Pass the polish saw-sage....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin