Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,050   Online: 1103

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Hey Twin Cities Apugger's

I will be in the Twin Cities next week Mon -Thur. I was thinking of dragging the 4x5 kit along and extending through the weekend. I saw some posts about multitudes of rivers cascading into Lake Superior. So... if I was "off work" Thursday evening, would I have a reasonable amount of time to get to the Lake area to shot Friday and Saturday?

My last experience with TSA and LF was less than pleasant, but perhaps time to brave it again?

Cheers,
    Geary

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome to Minnesota. You just missed the snow, which is a much worse threat than Thousands Standing Around pawing through your gear.

The drive to Duluth is about 3-4 hrs. You'll be fine getting up there in time for the weekend, but you might want to book a room ahead of time. It's tourist season up nort'.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Do you want to go north of Duluth or hang around the city. Duluth has a number of rivers and good shore line opportunities.

It is 156 miles and all freeway. If you don't mind the extra drive going up to Gooseberry Falls is worth the trip. It is very accessible and very photogenic. Split Rock Lighthouse State Park is also a good choice. Both are within an hour of Duluth.

These pictures were taken in Duluth.

If you have Time when you get here PM me. Maybe we can have lunch.
    Last edited by Rlibersky; 02-27-2008 at 09:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Regarding lodging, I don't think you'll have any problems. Snow sports season is done and the main tourist season doesn't start until after Memorial weekend. This is a less busy time for motels and hotels up there and the rates are usually lower until mid-June. If you want to be centrally located for many of the North Shore parks and attractions, consider staying in the Lutsen area.

Northeast Minnesota had abundant snowfall this past winter so the rivers will be thundering! No green color yet as spring doesn't arrive up there until late May.

Have fun and bring lots of film.

Rick

Images
    Thanks to everyone! I am excited and exploring the logistics. I'll keep you posted.
    Cheers,
    Geary

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlibersky
    It is 156 miles and all freeway. If you don't mind the extra drive going up to Gooseberry Falls is worth the trip. It is very accessible and very photogenic. Split Rock Lighthouse State Park is also a good choice. Both are within an hour of Duluth.
    I would agree. There's a multitude of photographic opportunities in both areas.

Perhaps you might know of the hill that once had a mansion at the top. All that remains are remnants of the fire place (as I recall). I've always wanted to revisit the spot but I don't really remember where it is. I do remember the spectacular view and the long climb up the hill though.

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stillwater is near the Twin Cities and has a very interesting riverscape and an old mechanized bridge that rises for river traffic. Also some large old buildings on the water front. At Red Wing you can watch the barges negotiate some sharp bends in the river. I don't live there, but visited on business before. It sounds as if you are seeking more natural areas to photograph.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Images
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! My plans are to drive to the Northshore early Friday morning. Scout the Gooseberry Falls and Knife River areas. Spend the night in Two Harbors. Out early shooting on Saturday. Any other suggestions in the area would be most welcome! After the light and/or my inspiration fails, drive back to the Twin Cities and stay near the airport. I have a flight out mid-morning Sunday.

Would love to meet for a beer on Wednesday or Thursday evenings!! I am staying at the Embassy Suites near the airport.

Cheers,
    Geary
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for, and your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. – John Prine

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While this reply is far too late, consider driving south from the cities next time. Travel down highway 61 (Bob Dylan mentioned it) which runs down the Mississippi River, then go West over the river in Winona, Minnesota and travel back North on Wisconsin highway 35. That circuit puts you between the river and the *bluffs and coolees which are remarkable geographic anomalies. I'm sure you will find a lot to enjoy. Stop in Nelson, Wisconsin for some of their icecream and great cheeses. If you do this on a sunny Sunday, the road near Nelson sometimes looks like a parade of sportscars.

Oh - and it snows here as late as May, albeit rarely, but tonight we expect a hard freeze. Again. My journal has an entry, "Winona, MN. June 1, 1989. 5am. 40F". Enjoy.

*the hills - Minnesotans call them bluffs. Wisconsonites call them coolees. The distinction is lost on me.

One view: http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/alma

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Geary,

Please let us know how it went on the North Shore. Sounds like the weather may have been less than ideal but hopefully you had a good time anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin