Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,692   Online: 950

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Has anyone traveled down around Bordeaux?

I saw a very nice travel program on the region highlighting the Dordogne and other nearby rivers. It looked so beautiful that I am wondering if anyone can comment on traveling in the region, the photo highlights available and comment on lodging and maybe traveling on the rivers. I hope to be visiting France in early September to meet up with some friends and am wondering about what I can look forward to in so much as the seasons photo opportunities.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We've been there several times. It really is a gorgeous region for photography, and the food's not too shabby either.

There are so many opportunities, the best thing is to hire a car and just drive (if you're going for more than a couple of weeks, check out the Renault / Peugeot / Citroen "Euro Drive" schemes).

Pick the D roads and just discover the area. Pick up a Michelin guide if you want to get a good idea of what's where. Early September you may need to book some accomodation, but it shouldn't be too bad, as most people have gone back to work. Try the "Gite de France" and Hotels de Charme for accomodation.

Fabulous scenery, great history, great food.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P C Headland
    Fabulous scenery, great history, great food.
    And great wines. I would go by bicycle; the fines for drunk driving are less crippling that way.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes - great wines. If you are travelling through the Dordogne, you must take a small detour to Jurisdiction de Saint-Emilion - a short drive from Bordeaux city. The wines are particularly good (they can trace winemaking back more than 2000 yrs to the Romans) and the village is beautiful. It was fairly recently made a world heritage site. The village is typically ancient with cobbled streets has a one thousand yr old church (le Monolithe Egllise i think) - carved from one gigantic rock.
    [font=Arial][font=Verdana]Excellent photography - rolling hills, old chateaus. You've got to look for a good vantage point to catch the good light. So it's worth spending a few days if you can.[/font][/font]

Have fun. Best, John.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    wayne:

we have spent in provence and traveled up/down from the franche-comté region and stayed in some really nice small inns, didn't do any river traveling though. if you can pick up a copy of a "relais du silence" guidebook you won't be sorry ... we never had a problem with any of the places we stayed, and the food was always great.
    if you can go a little east to toulouse, make sure you go to a pastry shop and ask for "un cochon" you won't be sorry

http://www.silencehotel.com
    http://www.silencehotel.com/embperl/...reqpays=france

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    wayne:

if you can go a little east to toulouse, make sure you go to a pastry shop and ask for "un cochon" you won't be sorry

http://www.silencehotel.com
    http://www.silencehotel.com/embperl/...reqpays=france
    I could live in a pastry shop!

Anyways, it sounds just as great as what I saw, and I'm thinking that maybe a week in the area would be nice. Would that be too short a stay? I'm also thinking that staying in one place would relieve the stress of moving between inn's and taking up valuable shooting time, so something central would be nice. Any suggestions? Since it will be my first visit to France I'll have to go to Paris, so, should I travel down from Paris or fly into the south and travel to Paris? Thanks for your suggestions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    I could live in a pastry shop!

Anyways, it sounds just as great as what I saw, and I'm thinking that maybe a week in the area would be nice. Would that be too short a stay? I'm also thinking that staying in one place would relieve the stress of moving between inn's and taking up valuable shooting time, so something central would be nice. Any suggestions? Since it will be my first visit to France I'll have to go to Paris, so, should I travel down from Paris or fly into the south and travel to Paris? Thanks for your suggestions.
    hi wayne

spending a week in one place and using that as your home base is a very good move. france has such a varied and interesting landscape that you won't get bored at all i think a week would be good, more would be better ( i'd love to move there - so i am the wrong person to ask! )

driving is a nice trip down to the southwest where you will be, but (maybe a day's + worth of driving ? - doing the manditory 140km speed limit (75-80 mph ) and you will get to see a whole lot of scenic-stuff on the way down, and have no trouble pulling off of the freeway. the downside is that gas is close to 3 or 4 times what it costs here in the states ... but you will be driving a fuel efficent little car so you will probably be OK ...

hmmm - central france - or centrally located in the bordeaux region ?
    this is another site ( from the uk ) that has accomodations/B&B's &C
    http://www.visitfrance.co.uk/index.cfm?t=0&area=2

i wish i could be more help, but we usually to from the doubs region ( from a village between montbeliard < http://www.montbeliard.com/ > + bescancon < http://www.besancon.fr >) to provence ( further east than you will be ). if you are in THAT area ... i can give you a few really good places to visit, inns to stay at &C.

- john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bordeaux

I just spent 2 weeks in this region and there are some rich picture taking oppurtunites in the Bordeaux region.
    Bordeaux city itself has some wonderful architechture (historic). The Buildings, bridges and general ambience is wonderful. Pictures everywhere!

I have made a mental note to return to one of the large churches there with my LF kit and a few boxes of film, maybe a UK excursion on a cheap flight direct to Bordeaux and stay over a night or 2, out of holiday season.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin