Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,775   Online: 1045

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Galleries and Museums in Seattle, WA

I am in Seattle Washington through this weekend and wanted to check out some galleries and museums while I'm here *I will have time in my schedule now.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any good ones?

jeremy
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    SAM downtown, and just go through the stored/filed/cataloged prints. Pick up the Seattle Times or go on line.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    I am in Seattle Washington through this weekend and wanted to check out some galleries and museums while I'm here *I will have time in my schedule now.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any good ones?

jeremy
    That's a good question. I've lived in Tacoma for 9 years and have never gone to a museum in Seattle! If you happen to have an time this weekend, both Mike White and I are in the area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Benham Gallery, half a block south of the Seattle Art Museum on 1st Ave, is probably Seattle's top photography gallery. G. Gibson Gallery in Pioneer Square is also a gallery dedicated to photography. On Capitol Hill, Photographic Center Northwest has a gallery space as well as darkrooms, classes, etc. The Henry Art Gallery on the University of Washington campus often has photgraphy exhibitions.

Art Access http://www.artaccess.com/ is a website/publication with listings for most of Seattle's galleries, some of which may have photography exhibits.

Have fun!
    Benno Jones
    Seattle, WA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ack, I've run out of film--the light is SO beautiful here! I am jealous.

I have hit up the SAM (which was a HORRIBLE disappointment, never have I seen worse lighting for the pieces!). The Benham Gallery was a life-saver, though, as they have a dual show of 12x20 pinhole shots contacted in palladium (IMHO the artist needs to pre-treat in oxalic acid or double-coat as his blacks were a little lacking, but to each his own) and the other artist was exhibiting mural-sized digi-shots that looked TERRIBLE!!! Horrible jaggies and chromatic abberration that ruined every single one of the photos for me. One thing I noticed is that the matting of the pd prints was lacking--many of them were crooked and falling from the mat.

On Saturday I'll be heading for a day at Pike's Market and on Sunday over and up to Mt. Rainier. Any suggestions on where to pick up some more 120 film? I saw a big billboard downtown for Camera West so I will try there, but I cringe at spending $5/roll for 120 so I may just pick up only 1 or 2 rolls and getting some more 35mm.

Schwinn and Mike, if I get some free time I will send a PM, but right now it looks like my weekend will be full (I am also with family which makes things a little harder to escape).
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Any suggestions on where to pick up some more 120 film? I saw a big billboard downtown for Camera West so I will try there, but I cringe at spending $5/roll for 120 so I may just pick up only 1 or 2 rolls and getting some more 35mm.
    The best selection will probably be at Glazer's Camera http://www.glazerscamera.com/ It's not downtown, but in the South Lake Union area.
    Benno Jones
    Seattle, WA

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Jeremy: Glazer's has 120 film for about $2.10 a roll, certainly not $5. If you want to hook up, I will pm my cell phone number to you. I could go by Glazers and pick up some film for you and meet you by Pike Place Market if you want. I have no real plans except to see Star Wars one day. It's supposed to rain this weekend but intermittent heavy rain, not constant rain so there may be dramatic skies available.

BTW, I have a nice Wisner Plasmat set that you might like to see. I also got a Cooke XVa <vbg>.

-Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin