Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,757   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London's Callng

London's Callng

HI All, and a special Hello to all the Englishfolk on the site.

My wife and I travel to Europe almost every year to photograph dogs (long story involving a mildly excentric hobby and a book project).

Anywho, this year we are flying in to London and staying in Jolly Old for a few days before heading to France and Spain.

Since it has been well over 20 years since I last set foot in the U.K. I thought it best that I seek the advice of the fine members on this board. Specifically, we will be spending a day in London just wandering around enjoying the sites and sounds and sampling some of the finer bitters, ales, lagers and ports. Any suggestions for a nice relaxing route that will take us through some of the more interesting areas?

Now, keep in mind that I will be armed with a Mamiya 7 with 80mm lens and a pocket full of FP4 and HP5 (when in England after all.....) And I would also like to do a bit of photo gear window shopping as well. So, if you had a day in London to burn a few rolls while strolling around, museum hopping and sampling pub fare, where would you go? what would you do?

Cheerio!

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi there,

I am not a Londoner, I live in the North East of England, but I was down there last year and had an enjoyable time exposing a couple of rolls of Delta 400 in the great courtyard of the British Museum. Although indoors, this area is an expanse of white marble with interesting curves and columns and is filled with light even on dull days. It is quite a popular subject. The museum also allows non-flash photography throughout.

Regards

Les

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ONE DAY??? Well, you are gonna be busy.....

OK, given the time constraints, try a bus tour that you can hop on and hop off to your heart's content. Prices are a bit steep at around 20 quid, but London is expensive... http://www.bigbus.co.uk/uk/html/uk_our_tours.html or slightly more off-beat (but I don't think you can hop-on/hop-off): http://www.affiliate.viator.com/broc...FROG&AUID=1911

If you have any particular interests, you will find them catered for: 17th century architecture? 18th century textiles? 19th century steam engines? 20th century design? 21st century art? You name it, it'll be there somewhere... ask Dr. Johnson...

Have fun, Bob.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Similarly I'm not from the smoke.

Knowing no, or little shame, I did the Duck with my family in Feb. Fun, especially the whizz down the ramp into the Thames; but stinks of Diesel especially if plastic windows are rolled down and cannot get a good view for pictures.

Also avoid Mme Tussauds like the plague.

On a positive note, had a good early morning outing from Globe theatre, heading East along past HMS Belfast, to Tower Bridge, across river, past Tower of London and back along via St Pauls and over Millenium footbridge to the start. Pubs weren't open though!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is a shame you only have a couple of days, there is also much to see which is off the usual tourist track... Kew Gardens with it's crystal palace-esque architecure, Covent Garden with it's hundreds of street photography opportunities, Windsor Castle (slightly out of town), the Thames itself (west of London is most photogenic).
    The Tower of London is cool but expensive, the various bridges over the Thames are worth a frame or two, as is the London Eye, you might even consider a brief ride on the Underground, some of the stations are worth a view.
    I concur with Baxter, avoid Madame Tussauds, it's pants.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i quite enjoy walking around the square mile on a saturday or sunday when it is deserted - some great pics to had around there

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i agree with leon the city is great for photos on the weekends. also try around smithfield markets great victorian arcitecture.
    also try around the british museum there are also lots of photograpy shops both for new and used equipment in that area.
    if you are there on the weekend the mall leading to buckingham palace is closed to cars on sundays, if you get there early you will get great pictures and should not be fighting for space.
    generally anywhere you walk you should get great pictures. purchase a one day travel card at any tube station and use the tube, bus and trains all day for one price.
    enjoy your time it truly is a great city, with lots of sights to see, smells to smell and plenty of strange pepole to photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you've got time... get off at Waterloo Station, head for the South Bank Centre. There you've got cheesy 60's architecture, the London Eye, skateboarders. And then just head east on foot toward Tower Bridge. On the way you've got Hayes Galleria, Southwark Cathedral, the Globe Theatre, the Tate Modern, the Millennium Bridge, HMS Belfast, City Hall, Tower Bridge. If you like you can then cross the bridge toward the Tower of London, or just check out the cityscape right there, it was old warehouses but now it's all very chi chi.

Taking a tour bus around is always a good idea if you've only got a little bit of time but a walk along the south bank of the Thames is one of the few places where you can look around you and admire the city. Everywhere else is kind of closed in and a bit claustrophobic. Going from Trafalgar Sq down the mall and toward Buckingham Palace is kind of nice as well though.

Andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Waterloo Station is wonderful. Purely for the delicious irony that travellers to Britain arriving through the Chunnel have to disembark there...

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go for a walk around Whitechapel and the Mile End Road, or stroll out to the M25 along the length of the A10. Buy postcards of the other stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin