Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,298   Posts: 1,535,737   Online: 829

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Suggestions for Netherlands?

Hi all,

I'm heading to the Netherlands for a one week business trip, and am interested in any suggestions for good photography. I'll be in Arkel during the week (unsure where it's situated, but understand it's an hour or two outside of Amsterdam). Will have the weekend in Amsterdam. Is there nice countryside in or around Arkel? Any suggestions for good street photography and architecture in Amsterdam? Places to avoid in the city?

I'll also have a day in London on the way in; sure wish I could see the English countryside instead, but no time (frustrating!). I've seen suggestions for a day in London in another thread here, but would appreciate any additional suggestions...

Thanks,
    Dale

Shooter
    35mm
    You will be closer to Utrecht or Dordrecht which are, imho, much more interesting as a photographic subject.Especially if you are pressed for time. You are also quite close to Kinderdijk [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]kinderdijk[/COLOR]
    link to [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]dutch tourist information bureau [/COLOR]with information about Dutch cities and places to visit.

Have fun over here!

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

depends on what you want...

I have no idea what kind of subject you would like to photograph

Amsterdam is the # 1 tourist destination with picturesque canals (less then 1 hour from Arkel)
    Rotterdam has a lot of modern architecture and a really urban and multicultural feel.
    We have beautiful sand dunes at the coast
    Arkel is in the middle of flat river land wich is a bit boring to me
    Kinderdijk has the famous windmills (very near Arkel)

it is up to you

check my site for pictures of The Netherlands www.woophy.com

Joris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For unusual landscape photography, try planning a trip to nature reserve the Biesbosch - apparently sports a couple of real beavers. It's near Dordrecht & Arkel.

But yes, please tell us first what you wanna shoot, before we give you useless pointers.

You can always come down to us in Arnhem and make great portraits of two APUG-members ;0)

Cheers,
    medform-norm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you for all your help. As far as subjects... while in the Arkel area it would be nice to photograph interesting terrain or landscape features. The windmills would be nice, so I'll have to try to get to Kinderdijk. I'd really love to see the coast, but not sure if there will be time (although I'll be in Den Haag one afternoon). Staying in Arkel Mon.-Thurs. 6/6-6/9 and going to Amsterdam Fri-Sun 6/10-6/12. Would be nice to meet a couple of APUG'ers in Arnhem, although I'm travelling with a collegue, so am not able to decide the agenda by myself! For Amsterdam, I'd be interested in older architecture and street scenes, maybe including the water. Any suggestions for that?

Thanks again,
    Dale

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've only been in Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Utrecht (and quickly passing through the lovely contryside on the train). Each is nice, but with a slightly different visual flavor. Plus, the people there are wonderful.

In Amsterdam, taking a canal cruise is fun, and you can get interesting shots from the water (assuming an open boat). Even without a camera, seeing them pilot those long boats through the narrow canals is impressive. Watch for the home of the most happily married couple on Earth - it's only 7' wide, as I recall, so they sleep on separate floors.

The main train station in Amsterdam, from a canal boat:

[COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dale,

how do you plan to get around in Arkel? If you want to go into the countryside, try renting a bike ( I see you're a 35mm person, so nothing heavy) and buy a detailed map of the area. You could have fun exploring the green bits on the map and run unexpectedly into a windmill that's NOT on the Kinderdijk. (it seems the Dutch have made the Kinderdijk for touristis even when building it way back when there were neither tourists nor cameras ;-0).

AS for Amsterdam, the canal boats are always a good idea. You could even rent a water bike (depending on the weather) and go on your private tour (let your collegue help with the pedalling). It's quite fun and you'll get to see the smaller canals where the bigger boats don't come. It's very hard to miss the historic buildings in the centre of Amsterdam.

What is always spectacular in Holland is the Pernis area close to the harbours near Rotterdam at night! Very unreal industrial landscapes. Rent a car and drive around the petrochemical installations that are lit up in the most unexpected ways.

Or take a daytime tour of the Rotterdam harbours by boat. I think the boats start near the Erasmus brug (I feign to remember), and afterwards you could spend some time in the historic building of the Holland-America Line, now converted into a great hotel plus restaurant. (Hotel Americain). Rotterdam is quite close to Arkel, more so than Amsterdam.

When planning trips by car: the Randstad area is pretty clogged by traffic jams during rush hours. We find it a real drag to have to drive there between 5 and 7.

Very near Arkel: Dordrecht itself has quite a cute historcal centre itself, so when pressed for time, you could try that option too! It's a bit like a small version of Amsterdam.

When in Den Haag you could do a 'complete tour of Holland' by visiting Madurodam. Yo, check it out! It's a kind of miniature version of Holland, a small landscape in which the most significant features of our weird country have been copied to the last detail, including the abstract artworks in front of large office buildings. In fact, you can visit the website (not too well constructed, but has an english version) and try to find the section 'background information' and within the pop-up menu bar, select the 'list of models'. Browse through that and when you see something you like, note the location and go to the real building later! There is even a section with 'historical city views', so you'll know what you can expect!

Njoy,
    Norm

(Arnhem is a little out of the way for your schedule, I can see that coming now. When travelling, you always end up having less time than you planned beforehand).

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

agree

Norm is right, the industrial area near rotterdam and the harbour (world largest for a long time) give great opportunities for unreal industrial photo's

Joris

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the very helpful information. I've always been attracted to industrial landscapes, so the Rotterdam idea sounds great. Now I have to find a way to convince my non-photographer colleague to go and look at industrial scenes while in the Netherlands... could be a bit tricky, but I'll have to try. I'll also have to try to get to Utrecht. Someone at work mentioned Gouda; is that a nice area? Is it similar to Utrecht? Just in case there's time, is the coastline near Den Haag nice?

I'm debating how much equipment to take. Not being a seasoned traveller, it's not easy deciding how much is best, especially when you'd like to be able to shoot a bit of color along with the black and white (meaning possibly two bodies). I'd sure hate to be too loaded down; have made that mistake before.

Thanks again,
    Dale

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by images39
    Now I have to find a way to convince my non-photographer colleague to go and look at industrial scenes while in the Netherlands... could be a bit tricky, but I'll have to try.
    Thanks again,
    Dale
    Tell him you're going to a fair with lots of lights, sounds and smells! Pernis sure looks like that at night ;-) - be sure to go around dusk for the most specatacular views.

Gouda - well, uhmm, it has an open air cheese market, with people running around in local costumes (read: tourists) and a nice historic town centre, but to me it's just one of such smaller historic towns like there are many in that area (Leiden, Dordrecht, Gouda, Delft, etc. etc.).

The coastline near Den Haag (to me) looks pretty much like the coastline all along our north sea coast - dunes, sand, sea, beach pavillions, boats, babes, beach guards, lots if kids, the occasional horse etc. etc. What we really like though is to go at night to a somewhat quieter beach (say Katwijk, Naaldwijk) on a hot day. When it's been hot enough you can see bioluminicense (spell check?): the algae in the water and in the pools left on the beach light up with a green light. So the waves light up before they break and when you walk, your footsteps light up behind you. Cool! Also, in Katwijk and other fishermen villages you can sometimes encounter the coastal fishermen, who drag their nets across the beach. Very heavy work, so the men who do it are rough, tough and usually silent. They walk slow enough to get a nice shot.

BTW the best fish is to be gotten in Scheveningen, a fishing village now part of Den Haag - so while you're there and in need of food, ask for the Scheveningen harbour near the 'visafslag' - there are some good joints there in several price ranges.

Enjoy your stay!
    Norm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin