Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,484   Posts: 1,571,251   Online: 1044

Images

Where in Oregon?

This is a longshot. I've been wondering for years where I was when I saw this canyon. I was about 12 years old. My family was out driving around the West. We might have been headed for Baker Oregon (from California) as we had relates there. Anyway, it was hot, we were in the middle of nowhere, nothing but dirt and sagebrush and a two-lane road. We stopped and there in this nowhere was a canyon, not very wide, but really deep. A little creek had cut the lava flow. I threw a couple of rocks in and off we went. I've asked my dad where this was and he thinks it was out by Bend. I've been to Bend and haven't seen it.

Does this make sense to any Oregonians out there?

Thanks.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is on the warm springs indian reservation on Hwy 26, about halfway between government camp and Madras..

If I remember correctly, it goes over the warm springs river.

Dave

Images
    Thanks Satinsnow. I'm head up there this summer and if I get close, I'll check that out.

On the same trip, we went to an 'old folks home'. It was out in the country, too. Might have been in SE Washington. There was a small lake beside the place that had a hot spring on one side. Ring any bells?
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm, is this photographers' geocaching of images untaken?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If the highway went over a bridge right next to where you stopped, you are probably talking about the Crooked River Gorge. Highway 97 crosses the gorge about 10 miles north of Redmond, which is a little north of Bend. It's on the main road from Bend to Portland, the road also skirts the south flank of Mt. Hood. It's not on the Warm Springs Reservation.

Try this link: http://bridgepros.com/projects/Crook...verBridge1.JPG

See the 1967 movie "The Way West" with Kirk Douglas, Robert Mitchum, Sally Field, and Jack Elam. The pioneers in this movie lower their wagons down the gorge and then pull them back up the other side. Not a great movie, but fairly entertaining, especially if you've been to the Crooked River Gorge.

Kirk - www.keyesphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kirk,

You may be correct, but it sure sounds like the bridge on the warm spring river on the reservation, I have photographed many times in that area when I was growing up in Oregon and washington, it would be interesting to see which one it actually is, based on the description, it could be either one.

Dave

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin