Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,944   Online: 913
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    3,242
    I have never worked with IR film so what I am sugessting is tentative. I believe that there are changing bags that are IR proof. If I am correct in that guess then why not get such a changing bag and ship your film cannisters inside the changing bag. It might also be extremely handy to have use of the bag during the trip...you may already own such a bag. I am not conjecturing that an IR proof bag will shield your film from gamma rays but I doubt that it could hurt.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

  2. #12
    jp80874's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bath, OH 44210 USA
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    3,400
    Images
    6
    BW Kate

    If you have not seen the work of Lois Conner, you might want to find a copy of the book, “The Photographs of Lois Conner, China”, Callaway, NY, 2000. This was a US$100 book when it came out, but is currently available for US$29.95 at http://www.hamiltonbook.com/hamiltonbook.storefront

    If you are not familiar with Lois you might find her work inspirational. She has traveled to the mountains of the province of Guangxi in southern China many times over the last two decades. She carried first an 8x10 and later a 7x17 camera, tripod, and personal things through the mountains on a bicycle. She contact prints in platinum and her work is simply stunning. Beware it (Lois's work, large format, platinum) is also addictive. She was a Phi Beta Kappa student at Yale and has since taught photography at both Princeton and Yale.

    Good luck. No doubt we all wish we could go along.

    John Powers

  3. #13
    BWKate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Victoria,B.C. Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,258
    Images
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874
    BW Kate

    If you have not seen the work of Lois Conner, you might want to find a copy of the book, “The Photographs of Lois Conner, China”, Callaway, NY, 2000. This was a US$100 book when it came out, but is currently available for US$29.95 at http://www.hamiltonbook.com/hamiltonbook.storefront

    If you are not familiar with Lois you might find her work inspirational. She has traveled to the mountains of the province of Guangxi in southern China many times over the last two decades. She carried first an 8x10 and later a 7x17 camera, tripod, and personal things through the mountains on a bicycle. She contact prints in platinum and her work is simply stunning. Beware it (Lois's work, large format, platinum) is also addictive. She was a Phi Beta Kappa student at Yale and has since taught photography at both Princeton and Yale.

    Good luck. No doubt we all wish we could go along.

    John Powers
    When I was student at Emily Carr College of Art & Design we had the privilege of having Lois Connor as a guest lecturing artist and I loved her work! It was beautiful and her prints were so rich in texture and tone. Thanks for reminding me of her work. I run a cooperative darkroom with 11 members and I'm trying very hard to promote & preserve black and white as much as possible.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, soon to be Chicago
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    111
    Images
    2
    since the fall i have travelled to Europe once and Asia twice (China and Japan).

    I have let all of my film (HP5+, Delta 400 and Delta 3200) go through the x-ray security checks. One trip had so many connections and steps the film was x-rayed seven times. (US and foreign airports)

    I had no issue, this was non-IR film.

    For the infra-red, I would suggest you compare the sensitivity curve of std film to IR and make your own decision. IR is at the opposite end of the spectrum from X-ray, but if I remember IR film is also UV sensitive which is near X-ray
    see this
    Last edited by jtsatterlee; 07-16-2005 at 03:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  5. #15
    jp80874's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bath, OH 44210 USA
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    3,400
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by BWKate
    When I was student at Emily Carr College of Art & Design we had the privilege of having Lois Connor as a guest lecturing artist and I loved her work! It was beautiful and her prints were so rich in texture and tone. Thanks for reminding me of her work. I run a cooperative darkroom with 11 members and I'm trying very hard to promote & preserve black and white as much as possible.

    Wonderful. At age 65 I am a student again. Lois came to Akron (Ohio) University, lectured and gave a two day platinum printing class which I got to attend. The class was only open to seniors. Some didn’t realize what they were missing so they redefined “seniors” and I got to go. I will take my third platinum printing class this August. As I warned, the all inclusive “it” is addictive.

    Enjoy. Now that you are out of the closet I hope we will read more of your adventures.

    John Powers

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Just north of the Inferno
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    750
    Images
    27
    I'd be wary of Chinese Xray machines.

    Years ago...1991 in fact, I went from Hong Kong to Guanzhou via the hover craft. Ended up about 30 minutes out of the city proper in what can only be described as "the boonies" (tons of duck farms and those odd little tractors that look like overgrown rototillers). The customs booth was one guy with an xray machine.

    He sat in a booth and your luggage went between him and the xray emitter...

    Which was OPPOSITE him....

    He had the door open to his booth too....

    I guess that is one way to control the population there....

    *shudder*

    All things being equal, see if you can't secret the film on you. Pockets are GREAT for things like this, and if it does set off any metal detectors, you can just show them the film. Should be fine.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

  7. #17
    jp80874's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bath, OH 44210 USA
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    3,400
    Images
    6
    BWKate,

    For me the work of very good photographers is a guideline to what I may expect and want to see when I visit. Hopefully that is of interest to you. Another book I would like to recommend if you don’t mind is, “Yangtze Remembered, the River Beneath the Lake”, Standford Univ Press, 2004. This is about the area much north of where you are going, but it is a political subject that is effecting all of China. The Yangtze River or actually three rivers gorge and dam. As I understand it much of the power generated is going south and thus a political hot potato.

    Linda Butler is a Cleveland 4x5 photographer. She constructed this book from eight trips over I think three years. The resulting 100 pictures became a traveling exhibit starting in the Cleveland Natural History museum, then to Boston and now in
    http://www.socal.com/events/ShowEvent.aspx?eventID=2499. I believe she said that the exhibit is on a two year tour.

    You can see many of the pictures on various pages of Linda’s site http://www.lindabutlerphoto.com/index.html. An interview with her was the cover story of the Februrary 2005 #56 Lenswork including many of her pictures. Amazon has her book for US$40.95.

    Besides capturing the scale and transition of the construction, Linda is very sensitive to the emotions of the poor people whose lives have been so dramatically changed by this project. In that I think one can learn much of the character of the people, Linda’s sensitivity to that, and the beauty of her work.

    A difficult choice, but my favorite of the exhibit was Tributary and Cliff Face, Wu Gorge, 2000 http://www.cmnh.org/pressroom/Tributarylarge.jpg. When I bought a copy I was delighted to find that Linda’s lab assistant was my classmate at Akron U.

    Enjoy,

    John Powers

  8. #18
    BWKate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Victoria,B.C. Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,258
    Images
    21
    Thanks so much for all the advice. My confidence in the generosity of APUGGERS is high. John Powers: Thanks for your references to different people's work. I do try to buy most B & W magazines that are published and I have a copy of the Lenswork issue you mentioned. Great magazine! I also buy Black & White Photography that's from England that APUGGER Ailsa McWhinnie edits. Another great B & W photo magazine. Sometimes when I have some spare money[it usually goes to film & paper]I'll buy a B&W photo book. This trip is a total gift from a photographer/teacher who buys my work. I'm sure I'll be looking at some great work before I go to get an idea of what to expect. I do love seeing really good work. I appreciate and admire the effort that goes into making amazing B&W images. I'm just heading out to go print 60 -small B&W prints for art cards for a show I'm participating in. [ 3 different images 20 of each] Thanks again, everyone!

  9. #19
    gr82bart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Culver City, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,224
    Images
    37
    BWKate,

    When you get back, or even before, you should particpate in one of the print exchanges. I'm sure people here would love to get one of your prints.

    Here are some interesting (some very touristy) links to Guangzhou picture galleries:
    http://www.geocities.com/asiaglobe/g...ngzhou-old.htm
    http://www.chinese-forums.com/showthread.php?t=1580
    http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asi...ong/Guangzhou/
    http://www.travelchinaguide.com/pict...ong/guangzhou/

    Not so much inspirational as more informational.

    Art.

  10. #20
    BWKate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Victoria,B.C. Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,258
    Images
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    BWKate,

    When you get back, or even before, you should particpate in one of the print exchanges. I'm sure people here would love to get one of your prints.

    Here are some interesting (some very touristy) links to Guangzhou picture galleries:
    http://www.geocities.com/asiaglobe/g...ngzhou-old.htm
    http://www.chinese-forums.com/showthread.php?t=1580
    http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asi...ong/Guangzhou/
    http://www.travelchinaguide.com/pict...ong/guangzhou/

    Not so much inspirational as more informational.

    Art.
    Art,

    I was going to post some photos but I don't know how yet. No one has seen any of my images. Maybe they won't like them. I will wait and see if anything I post has a positive response. Photography is so subjective. I appreciate your confidence that people might like something I do. I know it shouldn't matter if people like what I do, I'm going to do it anyway, but sometimes it can be encouraging.

    Do you know of a site with images of Guilin?[where I'm going in China].

    Kate

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin