Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,706   Online: 1250

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Advice on Photo Trip to China

I'm a new member to Apug and have never had the guts to post,yet. So, here goes. I was given a free ticket to go to China during "Golden Week"[the first week of May]. I will be going to Guilin in the province of Guangxi in southern China. I love shooting 35mm Kodak High Speed Infrared and am worried about bringing that film and avoiding any X-rays both before and after shooting. Does anyone know how this is possible? I haven't travelled for a very long time. Should I bring dry chemicals and develop my film there? I will be staying with my friend who is a teacher at an English school and she has an apartment.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My suggestion is to FedEx your film to your hotel Guangzhou. My experience with FedEx is that they do not/didn't X-ray their shipments. Regardless of how you get to Guilin, you'll certainly stop over in Guangzhou. Coming back, do the same thing in reverse. BTW Guilin is/was classical China. You'll get great images of the rugged almost vertical mountains as you move up the Li River from Guilin. If you take a bus to return you'll see quaint countryside villages and the drying rice (on the pavement even though the buses send it flying!). Have a good trip and report back to all of us APUGers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for your advice, Hortense. My friend will be living there already and we'll be staying at a hostel in Guilin. Should I Fed/Ex my film to her place near Shanghai at her apartment? That might just be feasible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have never been to Southern China on personal trips - always business, so my Chinese colleagues would always get my film and get it developed for me (B&W and slide - I never tried IR there). I never knew where though and it was always professionally done - they knew I was an enthusiast.

I have travelled to Northern and Western China - Kashgar, Urumqi (sp?), Beijing, and Harbin, when I was student many years ago. Back then I rolled my own film and brought it with me. I also bought film in Beijing. I can't remember the place though and I had the film developed locally by a photographer artist/teacher. At that time, professional photographers/artists in China printed their own works. I only got him to do contact sheets for me. I remember it to be very inexpensive.

I saw some of his work and they were marvellous. His prints were amazing. If he could speak English, he would be an asset in this community. I wish I remembered his name - I know it's on the contact sheets as he meticulously added his 'signature/chop' to all his prints - even contacts. A true craftsman.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In 2002, I took rolls of Kodak HIE and EIR (color IR slide film) with me to the UK. All my went through the carry on x-rays 6 times round trip and didn't have any problems with it.

However, if you can send it to a friend, you are probably better off. You won't have people demanding to open the canister to confirm that there really is film. These films would get fogged if that happened.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    35mm
    Boy, talk of rapid personal growth being afraid to post on APUG all the way to going to China...unprecendented growth. I hope that your trip is wonderful and that your imagery is even better. I would love to join you but I have my hands full just getting permission from my wife to leave the yard. I am very brave but a man has to know his limitations and I therefore do as I am told...lucky for me I am deaf.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ask for a hand inspection, tell them it is professional film. Say you want the inspection even though it says "Kodak Gold 100" clearly on the cassette.

FedEx... iffy. You don't SEE them xray thepackage... but your film will

I've had no problems getting inspections in China except on domestic flights -- and even then it may have been a matter of one hurried inspector who had no patience for my rotten Mandarin. I usually carry 20-100 rolls of 35mm on int'l trips. Carry them all in a clear plastic ziploc that can be easily separated from your camera kit. Take the boxes off -- just the film cassettes and plastic cans.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Boy, talk of rapid personal growth being afraid to post on APUG all the way to going to China...unprecendented growth. I hope that your trip is wonderful and that your imagery is even better. I would love to join you but I have my hands full just getting permission from my wife to leave the yard. I am very brave but a man has to know his limitations and I therefore do as I am told...lucky for me I am deaf.
    Now I know why I've never posted before.It's people like you that inspire me not to post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    Ask for a hand inspection, tell them it is professional film. Say you want the inspection even though it says "Kodak Gold 100" clearly on the cassette.

FedEx... iffy. You don't SEE them xray thepackage... but your film will

I've had no problems getting inspections in China except on domestic flights -- and even then it may have been a matter of one hurried inspector who had no patience for my rotten Mandarin. I usually carry 20-100 rolls of 35mm on int'l trips. Carry them all in a clear plastic ziploc that can be easily separated from your camera kit. Take the boxes off -- just the film cassettes and plastic cans.
    Thanks for the info, Kevin. The only problem with the B&W Infrared is you can't take the film out of the plastic cans. The film is so light sensitive that you also have load/unload into your camera in complete darkness. I always carry a portable dark bag with me. I might just ask the Chinese Embassy if I can maybe get special permission to not have my "special film" xrayed. I 've got time to work these things out. I just thought some APUGGERS might have some advice.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

DHL

Quote Originally Posted by BWKate
    Thanks for your advice, Hortense. My friend will be living there already and we'll be staying at a hostel in Guilin. Should I Fed/Ex my film to her place near Shanghai at her apartment? That might just be feasible.
    On second thought, it might be better to consider DHL http://www.dhl.de/dhl?check=yes&lang...0049&tpl=html3
    Note that Shanghai is a major hub for DHL. My experience with FedEx in China was many year ago.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin