Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,209   Online: 1182

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Phoenix AZ, Where to go for photo/camp/hike?

My family will be out of town for a few days so I want to explore my new surroundings with my 4x5 and/or 6x6. What suggestions do you have for not too strenuous hiking somewhere cooler than 110+ Phx, maybe around Payson or? I would prefer to start out close and gradually get familiar with the state. Not the Grand Canyon this time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A good day trip is the Boyce Thompson Arbirum(sp?) in Superior, east on Az 60, its a State Park and opens early in the summer. Nice little hike with lots of native plants. Prescott by way of Wickenberg is a also a good day trip. Check out the Arizona Highways web site.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Bob, Having just moved to Phoenix myself, I would recommend somewhere higher in elevation. Payson certainly fits into that parameter. Also north toward the flagpole (Flagstaff)...possibly Sedona...Oak Creek Canyon near Sedona comes to mind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just checked out the State Parks website, most of the campsites in Northern Arizona are closed due to fire danger, I was up on highway 87 (The Beeline) on Saturday, 4 Peaks and most of the roads and trails are closed all the way to Payson, as are many of the trails and national forests on the Rim. DPS chased me off from an area I was shooting that had been burned. I don't know if Links Lake in Prescott is still open, but if it is you will need reservations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can get to Flagstaff, take highway 180 north out of town. The Snowbowl or forest road 151 to Hart Prairie is blooming now. Very nice and 8,600'. tim.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The area around Camp Verde is really nice. Some neat scenery up there, but they have had fires in those parts so.....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    One of my favorite places in AZ is Fossil Springs which is located just outside of Strawberry. Great swimming holes and the creek is amazing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think Fossil Springs is closed as well. Until we get some rain most of our usual hants are closed, but all of these suggestions are really great places and are worth the trip once the rains come.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ain't been out that way in MANY years (yikes) but if Payson is off-limits, drats because I loved camping up in that area. Just beforee getting to Payson, there was a small canyon called Box Canyon that we used to like to hike into - but I can't remember exactly how to get there.
    I imagine that the areas near Sedona are also closed. A hike down Snebley Hill Rd (sp?) was a favorite day trip of my father-in-law.
    Good luck... stay cool... and wish I could be out there hiking with ya!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Images
    Another vote for strawberry and payson. Or Jerome, Prescott Oak Creek canyon( need a permit to park on the side of the road but well worth it) then to flagstaff and and hart prairie absolutely stunning when in bloom. Grab a hotel room in Prescott valley and get an early start to do the drive from their to Hart Prairie. PV is Cheaper than Prescott. No matter where you go it will be totally swamped with folks looking to beat the heat, so expect traffic if you go on the weekend. On the other hand weekdays are the perfect time to go. Rates are cheaper and the crowds are minimal. You could head up to Tucson and into the catalina mountains. If the Rincons are still burning it will be hazy though.

The Mogollon rim should be nice. Go through Payson and up. That is where Strawberry is. If a storm is brewing you will get one hell of a vista from the rim.

Remember to pack your polarizor and 81a warming filter if shooting color. An orange filter, and yellow green filter are the ticket for seperating the red rocks of northern AZ and the green pinon juniper. have fun.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin