Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,395   Online: 878

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    John,

most leave the state or you sometimes can see them foraging in the pastures

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    David,

how 'bout we take him to that place in Amarillo where you have to eat that 72 oz steak in one hour?

that should get his attention...

lee\c
    he he he

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My least favorite place is where I currently live. It's a photographic wasteland.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    David,

how 'bout we take him to that place in Amarillo where you have to eat that 72 oz steak in one hour?

lee\c
    If it were me, I'd request Angelo's. Or maybe Tolbert's. One for lunch, the other for dinner?

Lee

P.S. Hit the Kimball and Amon Carter in between.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can't stand most of Southern CA (south of the beautiful city of Santa Barbara that is), most specifically, LA. I know that when it comes to California everyone seems to think LA and Hollywood are the greatest, but I sure like trees, mountains, and clean air...

S.F. and Berkeley aren't too much better with the crowds, but they sure have a lot of interesting people... Not sure if anyone in Berkeley would appreciate a 72 oz. steak... maybe a 72 oz. tofu? Now I think it would be more of a challenge to keep 72 oz. of tofu down than 72 oz of cow...

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lee
    David,

lee\c

If it were me, I'd request Angelo's. Or maybe Tolbert's. One for lunch, the other for dinner?

Lee

P.S. Hit the Kimball and Amon Carter in between.

good place that Angelo's dont know Tolberts in Ft Worth

Amon Carter has one of the better photo collections in the world

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    lee,

Tolbert's is (hopefully still) an old-style chili parlor in downtown Dallas. Used to be open only for lunch. Frank X. Tolbert was a journalist who wrote for the Dallas Morning News after working for the Ft. Worth Startlegram, and co-founder of the Terlingua World Championship Chili Cookoff. He died in '84, and the parlor may have closed down. I hope not. It always had a pretty good cross-section of the Dallas populace, and lots of news people. It was a long-standing tradition like Old South Pancake House and Angelo's.

Lee (not the one with the \c)

Found a listing on google that's heartening:
    Tolbert's Texas Chili Parlor
    350 North Street at Paul Street
    Dallas, Texas
    Chili
    $5 - $10

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Chicago.
    Diane

Halak 41

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    thanks I have meant to say "nice name" long before. I know about Frank X but have not ever eaten at the chilli parlor. Amon Carter who was from Fort Worth and owner of the Star Telegram would pack a lunch when he went to Dallas so as not to spend any money in Dallas. I try to carry on the tradition but sometimes it can't be helped.

I used to like to eat at the Old South Pancake House but it took too long to get out of there. I was always stuck to the seat or the table from all the maple syrup. Great for late night eating after a night drinking beer at the HOP. The HOP is now some Gen X joint. It got the name the HOP because years ago the place was a House Of Pizza. Local history for you. Did you go to school at TCU or how do you know all those palces?

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In Amarillo, it's the "Big Texan" with the 72 oz steak and those of us who have lived there, laugh at the tourists who stop there. There are fine restaurants there and a surprising little canyon called Palo Duro canyon just 20 miles away. Used to be the hide-out of outlaws. Anyone who dismissed Texas as a whole has never been to Texas.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin