Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,370   Online: 1029

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Where to go in Pennsylvania/SE Ohio ?

I'll be leaving Michigan and travelling by car through Ohio and Pennsylvania for the first time next week to attend a wetplate collodion workshop in New Jersey. The workshop ends Tuesday August 9th and I thought I'd do a bit of sightseeing and camping on the way back. I have tickets to a Hot Tuna concert in southeastern Ohio on Saturday the 13th so I have a few days to meander between the two events. I plan on visiting Chadds Ford and The Brandywine Museum to check out the work of Andrew Wyeth and family, and I'll probably try to hit Midwest Photo Exchange in Columbus Ohio just before I return, but otherwise I have no itinerary for the period between the 9th and 13th.

Any suggestions on where to visit and especially where to camp while I'm meandering through Pennsylvania? I'm not really interested in historical locales but wouldn't mind taking in a CW reenactment event in order to see some tintypists at work if there are any going on. Any other festivities worth a look that week? Where can I find some neat geology to perhaps photograph?

If you were heading through Pennsylvania and weren't interested in getting through the state efficiently, which roads would you travel to see the sights?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Joe

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I live about 20 minutes from Chadds Ford. Chester county is very nice. A great place to visit and photograph is Longwood Gardens which is not far from Chadds Ford. Have fun!!!
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I spent a week in Philadelphia last summer and that wasn't enough time. It is a beautiful city with much to see and do. The people are also very genuinely friendly if you give them a chance.

In Ohio: There is a big Nuke power plant on the way to Lorain...past Sandusky. I can't remember the name right now....anyway, the highway passes right by it. It is an interesting sight to see (and, of course, photograph if possible).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As WFE mentioned, Longwood Gardens is a great place to visit. Tons of gardens, amazing fountains. If you love waterfalls, Ricketts Glenn in PA is awesome. 33 falls within a 6 mile hike (3 miles downhill, 3 up). In Ohio, Hocking springs also has great waterfalls and caves. Also some good covered bridges in Bucks county PA and the county below it (slipped my mind). - Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    In Ohio: There is a big Nuke power plant on the way to Lorain...past Sandusky. I can't remember the name right now....anyway, the highway passes right by it. It is an interesting sight to see (and, of course, photograph if possible).
    The Perrysburg reactor. I think it's back online now. It was shutdown to repair leaks in the cooling system for a while. It's NW of Sandusky along the Erie shoreline.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In SW PA, Moraine State Park is worth a visit, as is McConnel's Mill. The first has a large lake (Lake Arthur) as well as lots of forested areas, and the second has an old mill and dam as well as huge boulders left behind by glaciers. If you're up for a side trip, Cook's Forest is gorgeous. You can find information about all of these on the web.

Enjoy your trip.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin