Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,717   Online: 1260

Thread: Taiwan

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Taiwan

[font=Arial]Hi all,[/font]

[font=Arial]I’m going to Taiwan the end of this month for a show and tour of the island. I am very unfamiliar with Taiwan and was hoping someone had suggestions that may make my trip more enjoyable.[/font]

[font=Arial]I’m planning on taking my 8x10 (my medium format camera) and would like any advice for areas of interest. I especially like religious art and would like to know the “ins and outs” of what would be allowed to be photographed and if there are specific things I should not do.[/font]

[font=Arial]I will be in Nantou for 4 days then on around the island ending up in Taipei.[/font]

[font=Arial]Any suggestions?[/font]

[font=Arial]Thanks,[/font]
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Robert-

I usually have good success with Lonely Planet guides as a "jumping of point" (use the link to get to the Taiwan edition, Borders carries most of their titles)

They are usually written by someone in country and are frank about locations (ie. whether or not they are touristy or more geniune to local culture)

-John

Images
    I was there a couple of years ago on a biz/fun trip. I didn't make many photographs and I'm not much of a city person. To the north was a town full of family grave sites (little houses) and temples. Very interesting. From the north I went around the island down the east side, then down the coast to a town with hot springs. I don't remember the name of the town, but from there over the mountains to the west was just beautiful. There was farmland followed by a deep river gorge and high mountains in the clouds.

I travelled with a local and it seemed I could take pix of everything or anything. Folks seem to ignore you most of the time. I doubt they would bother you with an 810.

Hope you like Chinese food.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Make sure to visit Shang Kai Chek's memorial in Taipei...it will blow you away

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Granted.
    Visit my wbe site (www.zabrovsky.com) you'll find in the galleries how Taiwan (and Taipei specifically) can look. Lots of photo opportunities...

Alex

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Do you need a Sherpa?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall[font=Arial
    Any suggestions?[/font]
    [font=Arial]Thanks,[/font]
    My suggestions in order of most interesting would be Toroko Gorge, Sun Moon Lake and the mountains northeast of Kaosheng. The mountain range that through which Toroko Gorge was literally "Carved" enlarging the aporiiginal trail is amazing. This mountain range is pure green marble!
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexz
    Granted.
    Visit my wbe site (www.zabrovsky.com) you'll find in the galleries how Taiwan (and Taipei specifically) can look. Lots of photo opportunities...

Alex
    Thank you. Very helpful.

Did it rain constanly?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MenacingTourist
    Do you need a Sherpa?
    I'm leaving soon, better get your ticket!
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hortense
    My suggestions in order of most interesting would be Toroko Gorge, Sun Moon Lake and the mountains northeast of Kaosheng. The mountain range that through which Toroko Gorge was literally "Carved" enlarging the aporiiginal trail is amazing. This mountain range is pure green marble!
    Excellent! Thank you.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin