Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,421   Online: 1169

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Save your money and buy a Jeep! :') Or for that price buy two or three. Hmm.......I hope I didn't just start the digital v. analog of the offroading world.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Daniel

That's me. We don't have a Rover or Hummer dealer close, so I just went with a Rover/Hummer recovery vehicle. Figured I couldn't go wrong with something meant to recover a hummer or Rover.

Yes, it's a wrangler

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Graeme Hird wrote: "Landrover use electronics to control wheel slip through their brakes effectively transferring all power to the wheel with traction when one starts slipping.

Sort of like a digital version of a diff lock ..."

More like a fiddle brake than a diff lock?

Here are axle diff locks for a Defender.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Helen,

These are nice lockers, standard on the wrangler rubicon, front and rear.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceN
    I'm still holding out for a SuperCub on amphib floats with a ballhead.
    I had wheeled skiis, floats and wheels for mine. No ballhead tho. Those were the days.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    In addition to the standard lock on the transfer box, aren't cable or air axle diff locks available as options - as with most Land Rovers?

And what's wrong with fiddle brakes, anyway?

Best,
    Helen
    Hi Helen. Great stuff, this Air Diff Locks. I surely would like my Land Rover (just dreaming) to be equipped with a couple of those...

Can you elaborate on the "fiddle brakes" subject ? I have no idea what you're talking about...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Hird
    The diff lock only operates on the central diff. Landrover use electronics to control wheel slip through their brakes effectively transferring all power to the wheel with traction when one starts slipping.

Sort of like a digital version of a diff lock ...
    I don't think they've installed electronic traction control on the Defender, Graeme. This kind of stuff is installed on new Land Cruisers, Range Rovers and Mercedes ML's. It's not supposed to work in situations like the ones a Defender owner is likeky to encounter... I mean, it may work, But then again, it might not. Just like digicams. I wouldn't be willing to take the risk.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lawton
    Save your money and buy a Jeep! :') Or for that price buy two or three. Hmm.......I hope I didn't just start the digital v. analog of the offroading world.
    Daniel, Michael, I respect the offroad abilities of all ATV that are small, light and have their wheels at the vehicle's extremities. Like the Willy's (which I have tried on impossible places and has overcome every obstacle imaginable) and the Wrangler. But, I would never choose a vehicle like that because I need lots of loading and seating space, something that those Jeeps lack... I'd love to be able to have one just to go for short off-road drives in mud, snow and the rest and have fun (it's really great fun doing it !!!).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou
    Daniel, Michael, I respect the offroad abilities of all ATV that are small, light and have their wheels at the vehicle's extremities. Like the Willy's (which I have tried on impossible places and has overcome every obstacle imaginable) and the Wrangler. But, I would never choose a vehicle like that because I need lots of loading and seating space, something that those Jeeps lack... I'd love to be able to have one just to go for short off-road drives in mud, snow and the rest and have fun (it's really great fun doing it !!!).
    Well this is where i was at several years ago with the family and my Sequoia. Now that the kids have grown up and have their own cars, i an able to dedicate the Sequoia to photography. So air lockers front and back, hydraulic shocks front and back, winch, brush guard all around, skid plates under entire bottom of vehicle, air bags in rear springs, lift kit, bigger very aggressive tires, new exhaust system, new front bumper.

That ought to get me where i want to go!!

Pete
    "…Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    FWIW,

after many years of off roading in desert areas in high heat, going through several jeeps-good vehicles- I have switched to diesel 4wd engine, I can leave it running all day with the air on full blast....(In over 100 degree heat) it doesnt heat up and is the most awesome workhorse I have had climbing or pulling incredibly heavy loads....the milage is equal to or greater then the 6 and eight cylinder gas engines I used for so many years and on long hauls is quite good....i can manually lock my hubs or switch on the fly etc....so far I am happy with it....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin