Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,339   Online: 958

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Holga
    Images

So-I'm off to County Cork Ireland

Does anyone have any ideas on what/where I might be shooting next week while my wife is installing software at her client? I'm allowing myself 2 maybe 3 overnight trips and I'll be railing and busing it- city boy that I am.
    So far my shortlist includes Blarney Castle, Dublin and maybe Belfast
    Also-any recommendations on places to buy photo paper for my pinhole would be appreciated.
    Grazie
    Victor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic
    Also-any recommendations on places to buy photo paper for my pinhole would be appreciated.
    Victor
    Email Paddy Barker in http://www.barkerphotographic.com and let him know what you need in advance.

Have a look at http://www.gilesnorman.com to get an idea what to expect scenery wise.

Have fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take a trip to Baltimore, County Cork-nice little town with a harbor, also an island (with ferry service) right offshore. I recommend Cormack McCarthy's pub for drink and music.

You are close enough to take a day trip to the Ring of Kerry (along with every tourist and tour bus in Ireland), or you can drive the Beara peninsula-a more picturesque trip in my opinion and much less crowded.

You can also day trip to Dingle, preferably by the Connor Pass if the day is nice (avoid it if the weather is fowl)-beautiful place.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    By all means, go to Cobh (pronounced "Cove"), which is right next to Cork. I would also suggest that you rent a car and just go driving up the west coast. You're not that far from "Ring around Kerry" and the Dingle Peninsula, you can go from Galway up the coast through Connemara and just basically hug the coast, stopping whenever you want to photograph the gazillions of gorgeous views and interesting things you will see. There are great cemeteries, monastery and church ruins, cute little towns, farm views, the Burren and neolithinc ruins, and from Galway you can even take the ferry out to the Aran Islands and have a great day or two of hiking and shooting. Two weeks in Cork? I cannot think of a much better way to spend two weeks out of your life!

Have a great trip and enjoy Ireland -- it's a wonderful place!
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcclellan
    By all means, go to Cobh (pronounced "Cove"), which is right next to Cork. I would also suggest that you rent a car and just go driving up the west coast. You're not that far from "Ring around Kerry" and the Dingle Peninsula, you can go from Galway up the coast through Connemara and just basically hug the coast, stopping whenever you want to photograph the gazillions of gorgeous views and interesting things you will see. There are great cemeteries, monastery and church ruins, cute little towns, farm views, the Burren and neolithinc ruins, and from Galway you can even take the ferry out to the Aran Islands and have a great day or two of hiking and shooting. Two weeks in Cork? I cannot think of a much better way to spend two weeks out of your life!

I think it's a 2 day trip that's planned.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Two or three overnight trips, as Victor described, would allow for most of that to be done. In any case, pick and choose! )
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcclellan

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    I think it's a 2 day trip that's planned.
    Thought the same thing Dave, but with a description like that, makes me want to go for a couple of weeks......
    Mike C

Rambles

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    It does sort of surprise me when people visit Europe and assume you can get around easily on public transport. You won't see the best Ireland has to offer the photographer from a train or bus- unless you want to photograph railway stations. I really enjoy photographing in Ireland, but I have to say that the best of it is the countryside, the coast (especially) and then perhaps the smaller communities. I don't find anything special at all about Belfast and Cork - which are a long way apart - whilst Dublin is no more than OK as European cities go. What you're doing is a bit like travelling to Colorado staying in Denver with short trips to Colorado Springs and Boulder- pleasant enough but not the best the area has to offer.

But if you hire a car from Cork you can drive over to the Beara peninsula ( too much coach tourism on the Ring of Kerry); or to the coast around Dingle; or just as far as the Killarney Lakes and McGillycuddy's Reeks. You'll be free to wait for sunset or get up for dawn and to find your own Ireland rather than rely on tourist itineraries.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hi there

if you can get to kerry, try to find cormac's chapel. there are 2 of'em, a new one ( 1200s?) and an early one ( 4-500 years earlier). there is a belltower ( isn't there always ) and the earlier of the 2 churches has a beautifully ornate sarcophagus and a hypocaust heating system ( roman style central heating).

good luck!

-john
    Last edited by jnanian; 08-17-2005 at 10:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Thought the same thing Dave, but with a description like that, makes me want to go for a couple of weeks......
    Three weeks would be even better!
    If a car is available then link is only an hour out of Dublin.

Thinking about it; make that four weeks.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin