Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,504   Online: 1124

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nice Camera shops in Paris?

Hi, I am off to Paris for a couple of days, so wondering whether among you (I especially count on you Parisian Apuggers ) anybody can advise some nice shops over there?
    In between visiting Notredame and walking and taking photos along the Seine I'd like to visit some nice cameras shops (possibly selling used analog stuff that digifans don't like anymore ) If centrally located it helps of course. Many thanks for the help.
    Merci beaucoup et a +
    Salvo
    "A photograph is not created by a photographer. What he does is just to open a little window and capture it. The world then writes itself on the film. The act of the photographer is closer to reading than it is to writing. They are the readers of the world."
    Ferdinando Scianna, Magnum photographer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Odéon Photo - surprisingly on the Place de l'Odéon in Saint Germain des Près used to have a nice selection of used gear. They were priced waaaaaay out of the market, as nearly everything in Paris, but still worth a browse. Otherwise, have a stroll up and down the rue Condorcet near the Gare du Nord - photography street if there is one in Paris.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Grazie 1000 Niko

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSperi
    Odéon Photo - surprisingly on the Place de l'Odéon in Saint Germain des Près used to have a nice selection of used gear. They were priced waaaaaay out of the market, as nearly everything in Paris, but still worth a browse. Otherwise, have a stroll up and down the rue Condorcet near the Gare du Nord - photography street if there is one in Paris.
    "A photograph is not created by a photographer. What he does is just to open a little window and capture it. The world then writes itself on the film. The act of the photographer is closer to reading than it is to writing. They are the readers of the world."
    Ferdinando Scianna, Magnum photographer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used to buy gear occasionally at FNAC Montparnasse -- only department store photo dept I've ever seen that carried both new and used.
    Last edited by bjorke; 08-23-2005 at 11:30 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    I used to buy gear occasionally at FNAC Montparnasse -- only department store photo dept I've ever seen that carried both new and used.
    Fnac decided a few years ago that it would pull out of the second hand market... You'd be hard pressed to find anything film in one of their stores today.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The House of Leica... sigh. Sometimes, a bargain.

And the flea markets. I found a Hugo Meyer casket set ( Protars ! ) at Saint-Ouen, at a very nice price. It took all afternoon to haggle the price down to what I had in my pocket: I took time out for a restorative bowl of stew and glass or two of wine. Les Puces are completely unpredictable. Happy hunting !
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I found the guys at bd Beaumarchais (Maison du Leica, GD Format) to be too expensive, judging by my standards... On the other hand, I have not (yet) found a single place in Paris selling second-hand cameras as cheap as you'll find them in other countries...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin