Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,506   Online: 1020

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Ghajanian

I'm staying in San Mateo for a few months and, unless I find a more suitable place, I'm probably going to get an apartment in that area.
    Check out Keeble and Suchat in Palo Alto. Also, Calypso imaging (Sunnyvale?) for processing.

Glad to have you in the area.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looking Glass in berkeley is the place I'm refering too. tomtom (che pronounces shay) is the manager there that is an apugger. There is also Adolph Gassers in the city. They are a couple blocks south of Market on 2nd. Nice thing about Gasser's is they have free off road parking.

I'm leaving because of the prices. This housing market is crazy. A new house by me when we moved here was 250K the same house by the same builder in the same area, is now 750K. For that much I can get a really great house with land and enough extra for a state of the art darkroom facility for more than myself built se3perate from the house. I would still have money left over. I will be close enough that I can shoot over here in a days drive. Hubby's job is such that he can work from home, and live anywhere he wants too. I may not have seen Boston lately, but according to MSN and a article a few months back San Francisco area has 4 of the top 10 worst traffic areas in the country. L.A. had 3, and Seattle one. So east coast is tame compared to this mess.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keeble and Shuchat has a big selection, but the prices make you want to cry out in angst (especially for accessories). Calypso is down in Santa Clara, on Scott and Martin. Best prices on processing in the bay area, I think, and great people.

allan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Between Keeble and Shuchat and Looking Glass, I definetely prefer Looking Glass; the people there are much nicer, and I believe the prices might be better too, though they don't have as large of an inventory as Keeble and Shuchat. The only problem is Looking Glass is in Berkeley... about 45 min away. Then again, so is Keeble and Shuchat; I live in Fremont, so I guess I lucked out

Personally I actually don't like the Bay Area- it's too crowded, though Marin County sure is nice, especially with Point Reyes so close. Unfortunately it's a bit pricey up there. Anyway, once I finish school I'll look forward to living somewhere where there are more trees than cars; considering I'd like to work for the National Park Service or the Forest Service, I think that dream will probably come true!

Aggie- I understand your reason for moving- my parents bought our house about 20 years ago, I believe for $200,00, but it might have been $250,000, and our house could probably easily get at least $750,000 right now, maybe closer to $1,000,000-- people really want their kids to go to the high school nearby! I don't really understand it; I didn't think the school was that great.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiyen
    Calypso is down in Santa Clara, on Scott and Martin. Best prices on processing in the bay area, I think, and great people.
    I use Calypso all the way over in Hawaii - they are excellent. I also found Looking Glass to be a great place to shop - che gave me a really good deal on some outdated QuickLoads.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is also San Jose Camera--which may be a bit closer to San Mateo than the East Bay. I haven't really used them, but they are bigger than your average small shop.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    San Mateo is Peninsula, not South Bay. Keeble's, in Palo Alto, is the closest place of merit. San Jose Camera is darkroom-unfriendly (in fact GENERALLY unfriendly) -- they are all about volume of high-volume products. "Cameras & More" in San Jose is my prefered South Bay supplier these days, close to University Art supply, and Kamera Korner is a few blocks away (at Bascom where it crosses hwy 280). Gasser's in SF is the old standby, I can't say much favorable about the camera-sales guys but the darkroom guys in the basement are a good lot.

For a drive, Seagate Photo up in Ross may be a good bet for used camera gear. -- about the same distance I'd guess to Looking Glass over on Telegraph in Berkeley

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I second the fact fact that San Jose Camera is generally unfriently; I will never shop there again, and if I'm in the area and am in a hurry for film and can't get to Palo Alto, I'd also go to Cameras and More (who are very friendly).

Honestly though, I usually just buy in bulk from B&H whenever I need something else from them...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    San Mateo is Peninsula, not South Bay. Keeble's, in Palo Alto, is the closest place of merit. San Jose Camera is darkroom-unfriendly (in fact GENERALLY unfriendly) -- they are all about volume of high-volume products. "Cameras & More" in San Jose is my prefered South Bay supplier these days, close to University Art supply, and Kamera Korner is a few blocks away (at Bascom where it crosses hwy 280). Gasser's in SF is the old standby, I can't say much favorable about the camera-sales guys but the darkroom guys in the basement are a good lot.

For a drive, Seagate Photo up in Ross may be a good bet for used camera gear. -- about the same distance I'd guess to Looking Glass over on Telegraph in Berkeley
    Hey,
    I think perhaps you are thinking of Seawood Photo in San Anselmo.
    Celac.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pelerin
    Hey,
    I think perhaps you are thinking of Seawood Photo in San Anselmo.
    Celac.
    Seawood, yeah, not "Seagate" ^_^;;
    They are in downtown San Anselmo, which for most practical purposes is Ross, iirc (moved from Mill Valley some years ago)

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin