Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,425   Online: 723

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Isn't this better suited to the soap box? This doesn't seem to have a lot to do with photography.
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    Given the facts that she got fired, and had several previous encounters with Law Enforcement, and seems to be "marked" by them, could it be that she has been needling them in some fashion, trying to provoke an incident?
    It doesn't matter how much you "needle" the cops--it may be stupid, but unless it's illegal, they're still in the wrong, period.

Police wasting their time enforcing laws that don't exist, and eroding their already limited credibility, makes us less secure, not more.

Re: "Photography is not a Crime"--I remember when a similar slogan was adopted by skateborders. Thoughtful city fathers around the country remedied that oversight.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Williams
    Isn't this better suited to the soap box? This doesn't seem to have a lot to do with photography.
    It has plenty to do with photography and its becoming more frequent with people getting arrested or harassed by the police over taking photographs. The irony being just about everyone has a camera phone.

Shooter
    127 Format
    There may be a bozo cop involved; no shortage of them anywhere. The charges were tossed; didn't even make it to the Desk Sergeant. So what?
    There is at least one situation I know of in US law where this makes a BIG difference. The US does not always presume innocent unless charged, much less innocent until proved gultiy.

I presume you're a US citizen so you've probably never filled in a US Visa Waiver application (the green forms they hand out on planes). One of the questions (aside from the somewhat humours ones) is "Have you ever been arrested?". Not have you ever been convicted, and not even have you ever been charged!!!

A friend of mine was arrested about 15 years ago. He never went to court. He was released without charge. As a result the US Visa he had was withdrawn, and he is no longer able to obtain a new one, or use the waiever scheme.

Given the nature of his work he's certainly lost 10's of thousands of pounds of work as a result of being arrested. NOT charged, and NOT convicted.

Getting arrested can be a big deal. If the US government can legally treat you badly as a result, them some local company can do whatever they want.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Krueger
    Police wasting their time enforcing laws that don't exist, and eroding their already limited credibility, makes us less secure, not more.
    While I'm sure glad we have police - and the "idea of police", in practice it is rarely so "black and white" (my god - that could nearly have been a DOUBLE pun!). At any rate - you really have to look at the individuals who choose to become police officers. Oftentimes the motivation is for cheap power. I hate to say it – but it's kind of true, don't you think? And, of course, people DO tend to be petty and DO want to be looked up to. So of COURSE they're going to abuse the power invested in them by 'higher-ups' at the service of their ego. I mean - well ALL do to SOME degree. Though I really think that cops should be taking some pretty serious courses in ego management. It's kind of the ultimate responsibility.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Alex Hawley]I think you're only seeing the side of the story you want to see.

1. There may be a bozo cop involved; no shortage of them anywhere. The charges were tossed; didn't even make it to the Desk Sergeant. So what? Move on. If she wants to sue them, then fine, that's also her right. Go for it, but don't expect public reimbursement of her legal fees unless the court determines they are warranted.

2. But when someone gets fired, that tells me her boss was fed up with her for one reason or another.

[QUOTE]

1. Well, untill it happens to others, why should I care...

In 1930es in Germany you know what started same way. NO, I don't saying it is same as wrongly arresting one individual, but same thinking: "Untill it doesn't happens to me it is not my problem" made one of foundations for raise of worst human behaviour in history of human kind. There is one old saying which tells something like "For evil to win it is enough that good people do nothing"

2. Exactly!

Maybe she didn't want to have sex with her boss, so boss (he or she) made a way for revenge without fear of being sued for sexual harassment...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nexus
    It has plenty to do with photography and its becoming more frequent with people getting arrested or harassed by the police over taking photographs. The irony being just about everyone has a camera phone.
    I urge everyone interested in this topic to go to Kevin Bjorke's PhotoPermit.org site and download the memo recently commissioned by the National Press Photographer's Association. It was prepared by perhaps the most prestigious law firm in Washington, DC.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    In the town (they call it a city, I call it a town, or maybe just a village) I live in, 5 years ago they decided that they should do criminal background checks, and require drivers licenses of all NEW police officers! (they didn't mention current officers!) Now if they didn't bother doing criminal checks on their own police, how much training do you think they give them? "Here's your gun & badge, go patrol"

-Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Krueger
    It doesn't matter how much you "needle" the cops--it may be stupid, but unless it's illegal, they're still in the wrong, period.
    It matters very much about how much someone needles them. Police officers are human, just like everyone else. And you are right, unless there is something illegal happening, the police are wrong. But how "right" is it to take advantage of the legality, provoking incidents just because the provoker will always be in the "right". It only leads to useless trouble-and as others have pointed out, detracts from more worthwhile activities.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Images
    But how "right" is it to take advantage of the legality, provoking incidents just because the provoker will always be in the "right".
    This is so illogical that I swore you meant it as a joke.

If something is legal, how can doing it provoke any incident at all.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin