Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,078   Online: 951

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Hmm, this is very discouraging, here I was about to finally leave the darkroom and take a trip around town to get some film of my own to print. . .timing. . . sucks....
    Maybe I could just put one of the body tent signs on with "Photography Student at Work! Please do not feed or harrrass." on it.

But seriously, this is really getting out of hand. Seems like the police are just plain idiots, they should be more concerned with the all the "clandestine" forms of photography not the huge blaring announcements of photography like an LF set up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose
    Hey what's new. Back in the 60's I was hassled constantly by cops for just having long hair.
    I still do and still am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    I still do and still am.
    Yup the redneck cops around here don't like my long flowing hair to much either, one of the bad things about living in a farming community! LOL

Dave

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose
    Hey what's new. Back in the 60's I was hassled constantly by cops for just having long hair.
    I'm still letting my freak flag fly
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've told you many times before, Neal - zip up your pants!
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think that he was saying that there are plenty of legal things you can do that are morally wrong. I bet there is someone out there that could provoke you without actually doing something illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    This is so illogical that I swore you meant it as a joke.

If something is legal, how can doing it provoke any incident at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I read is that she is suing, based on her Fourth Amendment protection against unreasonable searches and seizures. Her detention represents a seizure of her person, which she deems to be unreasonable based on the circumstances. Based solely on what I read, so far, I concur...

The officer appears to have greatly overstepped his bounds. When faced with resistance from the photographer over the identification issue, he decided that he could not or would not back down. For this, the officer stands to lose both his house and pension in punitive damages. There is also the prospect of federal prison time for a violation of a person's civil rights. No, there's no malpractice insurance for police officers...

What interests me in the senario is the photographer's motivation to resist in the manner in which she did. Yes, she may have been right in this situation. But what was the harm in complying with his initial request for identification? The interaction would have taken all of about 1 minute; not enough time to lose her light. Produce ID, explain your purpose and the satisfied officer feels that they have done their job and move on to the next possible evil doer...

The people that make the argument that 'She was using LF gear'..., meaning, 'Terrorists would ever use LF gear to achieve their cover' are short sighted. Yes it would be unlikely that a terrorist would use LF photography as a ploy to avoid detection, but they will go to great lengths to achieve their purpose. They spend YEARS attempting to blend into a community/location/role. Why do we think that none would dream of posing as a photographer?

In times of great crisis, we must sometimes tighten our personal liberties for the greater security of our nation. In the past we have seen it in the form of rationing of resources to curfews, etc. When the crisis subsides, the restrictions loosen. The constitution has proven, time and again, a dynamic instrument by which we govern ourselves. This case will resolve itself, where it should, in the courts. I just wish that more people (in this case photographer and cop) would consider their course, before committing to it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyk49
    In times of great crisis, we must sometimes tighten our personal liberties for the greater security of our nation. In the past we have seen it in the form of rationing of resources to curfews, etc. When the crisis subsides, the restrictions loosen. The constitution has proven, time and again, a dynamic instrument by which we govern ourselves. This case will resolve itself, where it should, in the courts. I just wish that more people (in this case photographer and cop) would consider their course, before committing to it.
    We should NEVER allow our constitutionally given rights to be subsumed "temporarily" in the name of "security". Once taken away, they are very hard to get back. Look at simple things like the income tax, social welfare entitlements. Many of those were intended as temporary measures, and we're still paying for them on an ever-expanding, never-ending basis. Look what happened to Nazi Germany - it started off as a diminishment of the rights of a small portion of the citizenry. It ended up requiring a World War and 30 million dead to undo.

By giving away your rights, you give someone else power over you. Once you've given them power, why do you think they'd ever give it back when you come to them and say, "ok, I don't think you need it any more, and I'd like it back now, please"?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi there,

Sorry I can not read all these posts, late for work. I did click the links but the news story is no longer there. I think everyone missed 1 point; the cop asked for I.D. and her SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER???

I would not be suing over the 4th amendment, this is racial profiling isn't it? Why else would a cop ask for a S.S. card?

Just a thought.

I just tried to go to the story, and it is no longer avaiable. I would have to say that IF that what you say is true, phfitz; that doesn't change my opinion because though I would have produced ID, I would have thought it wrong to be asked in the first place. BUT to give my SSN?!?!! I would've assumed that the cop was a fake, and that if I gave him that info; I would next be on TV explaining how humiliated I was for having my identity stolen in a scam wherein someone posed as a cop asking for SSNs which we all know they don't do! I mean have you ever been asked that when you were pulled over for speeding or doing anything else that you knew was wrong and got caught? I've had a few tickets, I've been beaten in a public place, I've had a child with brief misdeamenor, NEVER has a SSN been asked for.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin