Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,129   Online: 1053

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Bern, Lugano, Liechtenstein hotels

Does anyone have a good tip for a hotel in the following locations:

Bern, Switzerland

Lugano, Switzerland

Liechtenstein

I'm going on a trip in two weeks and looking for places to rest my body, while my mind will be happy visiting the new Paul Klee zentrum in Bern and other places (like a record shop in Liechtenstein, looking for a good Liechtensteiner Polka recording)...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If budget is not a concern... for Lugano: Hotel Principe Leopoldo
    Villa Principe Leopoldo - Relais et Chateaux
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, Niko... I think you misunderstood my intentions...

685 CHF per night for a double room ? I might as well rent a couple of suites (for 1950 CHF each), one for me and one for the maids (that always follow me in the second Rolls I take with me, in case the first has its ashtray filled up and I have to discard it)

Anyway, thank you for the interesting info... although I cannot take advantage of it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    By the way, I'll be in the area about Verona between the 29th - 30th of this month. I also plan to visit Venezia. If Niko or some other Italian film freak is around, I'll be happy for us to have an espresso in a cafe...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi

Tell me if you like it as cheap as possible or midclass!
    If I know then maybe I can help you!
    Lugano is wonderfull it is a tiny form of Rio!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As much as having an espresso and a shot or two together appeals... paradoxically George, I will myself be in... Greece until the 3rd! I'm going to Porto Heli and Poros for ten days for some waterskiing competitions.

As for the hotel, well, your original post didn't give away anything as to limits. If you could have any, wouldn't you want an Arca rather than a Cambo? Regardless, pop by the Villa for a sundowner aperitivo; the view is impressive!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou
    Well, Niko... I think you misunderstood my intentions...

685 CHF per night for a double room ? I might as well rent a couple of suites (for 1950 CHF each), one for me and one for the maids (that always follow me in the second Rolls I take with me, in case the first has its ashtray filled up and I have to discard it)

Anyway, thank you for the interesting info... although I cannot take advantage of it.

Hey,
    My wife and I stayed in Lugano at the San Carlo Garni. I can say without any exaggeration that it was the smallest hotel room I have ever seen... so small that I took a picture of the two of us sitting on the bed holding hands and each touching the opposite wall. It is however very conveniently located (we arrived and departed via the train) pedestrian friendly and not 685 CHF/night. The staff were also pleasant and helpful. Other options can be found at: http://www.lugano-tourism.ch/framewo..._id=2682&ssm=1 Lugano is fabulously situated. It is also quite polished and not inexpensive. I did find many things to photograph in the short time we were there.
    Celac.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you John, Celac for the tips.

John, I am afraid that the price is of great concern... Something around 100CHF would be OK (double room).
    The thing is, as I now see how I have to plan the trip, we might not have the time to spend a night in Lugano and will probably have to drive to Bern directly. Bern is a stopping point because of the Paul Klee Zentrum. So, I'm looking for a place to stay there and I found an Ibis hotel nearby (30km) but I would consider also a more expensive one I found in the city...

As for Liechtenstein, I have never been there and am curious to see what it looks like, so I want to spend a night there on my way to Vienna.

Niko, it would be good for us to meet in Potro Heli... I'd be glad to drive down there to have a coffee with you, if only I was in Athens the moment you're in Porto Heli.... but I will be in Verona and Venezia...

Mr Melas (username: blackmelas) lives in Corinth, so he's really not far from Porto Heli... he might be interested in metting you there...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnArs
    Lugano is wonderfull it is a tiny form of Rio!
    I know, although the last time I was there was like 25 years ago, I loved it... it's one of the most beautiful places in the lower alps region I have visited... I also remember I was impressed by all the stunningly beautiful women I saw walking about... the weather was great, and everyone was out taking advantage of it and all those blonde Swiss-Italian women really impressed me (I was 13 years old... hahahahaha !)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou
    As for Liechtenstein, I have never been there and am curious to see what it looks like, so I want to spend a night there on my way to Vienna.
    Personally, I would allocate a bit more time to Lugano than Liechtenstein... Given your interest in modern art that transpires from the Klee reference, Lugano has a very strong Museum of Modern Art. Will have to check what is showing there when you visit, but if a show is on, it's usually top notch and not crowded.

Sounds like a fun trip. Enjoy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin