Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,958   Online: 772

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    Sounds like a California trip. Did you want Nevada?
    I may be in Carson for 2 weeks, so I'll have time for trips in NV reasonable close to Carson. I mostly plan a trip down 395 to Lone Pine and the environs.
    But my friend and I may only be able to get to places near Carson to photograph. I know one place near a place called Red Lake that has a rough high-clearance vehicle road. Do you know of places we can go in NV near Carson?

Thanks!

-Mike

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mike, "The Racetrack" is on all of the Death Valley maps as is "Mosaic Canyon." Good sky's for photographs are all about good luck. I was at the Palisade Glacier overlook above Glacier Lodge out of Big Pine on Labor Day and the sky was just as bald as can be.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhi
    Can you please tell me how to find Bad Water?
    Badwater (they tell me it's the lowest elevation paved road in the hemisphere) is on the main Death Valley road between Furnace Creek (to the north) and Shoshone (to the south/east).

There are some shots at Badwater among many other things on:

http://www.letis.com/dmr/pics/vegas1.html

http://www.letis.com/dmr/pics/vegas/vegas3/

Page 3 above has some of the Badwater salt flats last spring when they were very moist after the long rainy spell, something you don't see all the time.

Images
    Badwater is south of Furnace Creek (maybe 20 miles) in Death Valley.

Pyramid Lake, north of Reno is interesting. I found the shoe tree east of Carson interesting, but I don't know that it is photographically interesting or not. Lake Tahoe can be good, if not a zoo. Virginia City is good, as is the mine south of town, but some say the bldgs are dangerous (not because of the bldgs, but the local ne'er do wells). That was years ago.

I have found Nevada's wide open spaces beautiful and when I just stop beside the road and poke around I find all kinds of interesting and sometimes photogenic opportunities.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhi
    Yes, I have been to Mono Lake a few times but only for brief stay each time. I see the fall time is some of the best time to get nice skies, is that right? I hope I"m not too early for rain clouds, etc.
    Mike,

You may be a little early, but you never know over there. The Mono Lake Committee operates a couple of webcams. You can keep track of the weather conditions that way as your trip approaches.

http://monolake.org/live/monocam.htm

Kerik

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McD
    If you're heading to Mono Lake, Bodie is right down the road

bodie is a really good place to take photographs... the old buildings and the cemetry are really neat. The perfect ghost town. And the surrounding are fun to play with on your camera.

Hanaa

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    Mike,

You may be a little early, but you never know over there. The Mono Lake Committee operates a couple of webcams. You can keep track of the weather conditions that way as your trip approaches.

http://monolake.org/live/monocam.htm

Kerik
    That is too cool for words. I'll check it out and jump in the car if starts to look cloudy! Thanks a lot!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you wish to find sites in Nevada, I would recommend Lamoille Canyon. It's about 35 miles from Elko. As I recall there is a web site for this canyon? At any rate, have a good trip. This state is one of my favorite areas to photograph.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    OK, I packed up all my gear, loaded it in the Jeep and drove all night and got into Carson City at 11:30am. I am psyched to get photographing and helping my friend get his darkroom setup. I brought down my spare Beseler 45MX for him to setup.

I brought the 5x7, 8x10 and 7x17 and tons of film holders and film so I'm all set.

I will do my very best to hook up with jimgalli. And of course check out the great food at the Mobil Station in Lee Vining! I have driven buy it several times, but I've never gone in.

Thanks for your suggestions, if you think of any more, please let me know.

-Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Stop at the DV visitors center and pick up a map and guide book. If you can go to the Race Track. PBS did a special on it a couple years ago and it became very popular and due to the theft of the rocks by tourists the rangers told us they make it a premit only area efectivly closeing it. Also badwater has a walkway being built (it might be finished) that stops several hundred yards short of the actual lowest spot due to a spider they are trying to protect that lives in the salt. It survives off of insects that fall onto the salt pan and was being steped on. So if you can go all the way to the pipe that the USGS uses to do water surveys. Scottys castle, ubhebe crater, and the mesquite trees at the visitors center are fun to shoot. Good food for the best price in DV is at the Indian reservation, Follow the Fry Bread signs on the main road. Rhyolite NV has some great images. It is next to Beaty NV along the east enterance road.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin