Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,714   Online: 803

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Off to Nevada in a few days...

Hi:

I could use some advice on places to shoot 8x10 and 7x17 in the are. I plan a 2-3 day trip to Death Valley and Bristlecone Pine. Where do I find Badwater?
    Always wanted to shoot that place. I know about the big dunes in Death Valley. Mono Lake should be great with possibly dramatic clouds this time of year. I know there is Yosemite, of course, but I'd like other suggestions please. I like the eastern Sierras a lot.

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're heading to Mono Lake, Bodie is right down the road

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhi
    Hi:

I could use some advice on places to shoot 8x10 and 7x17 in the are. I plan a 2-3 day trip to Death Valley and Bristlecone Pine. Where do I find Badwater?
    Always wanted to shoot that place. I know about the big dunes in Death Valley. Mono Lake should be great with possibly dramatic clouds this time of year. I know there is Yosemite, of course, but I'd like other suggestions please. I like the eastern Sierras a lot.

-Mike
    Mike,

Just go up 395 from Lone Pine. Oh course the Alabama Hills are off 395. If you have time stop in Bushop and visit the Galen Rowell studio, which BTW is very nice.

You may also want to consider the Devils Postpile. If you go up to Bristlecone you may need a jacket, it can get very cool at that altitude.

This is a great time of year to travel in the Eastern Sierras, have fun.

Don Bryant

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If you stay in DV all of the places you mentioned are a reasonable drive and all of them are in California....depends on which way you come into the valley....Bad Water IMHO is best to photograph in the morning with Telescope peak in the background, the dunes I like best in the evening...you can stay close to the dunes at Stove Pipe Wells....Furnace Creek is a bit pricey for my pocket and had been closed due to the flood...

Have a good one

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There's so much to do in E. Sierras you could spend a lifetime discovering. Check out the Tufa towers on the S. side of Mono lake off hwy 120. You could give the 717 a workout there. Bristlecones remains my all time favorite place on earth to photograph. Beware: the light at 10,000 ele. with near 0% humidity is more than challenging. Your film will not see what you're seeing. Lots of blue up there. Cerro Gordo E. of Keeler is an interesting haunt. It's all private though so you need to call Mike Patterson and ask permission to come on up. Keeler is worth a stroll too. Just depends on where your heart's at as to which direction you go. If you wind up in Tonopah, give me a call.

Just went and looked at your gallery page. Gorgeous stuff. You WILL enjoy the Tufa's! Go also to the 'sand tufa's' at Navy Beach. Different direction from a Y in the same road. Bring lots of film. Also the drive up to Cerro Gordo may be an end in itself. (4wd required) but the rock formations on the way up are spectacular. In DV make the hike into "Mosaic Canyon". There's a gorgeous 717 shot about 1/4 mile in where the canyon makes an S turn.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    While you're in Lee Vining (the town adjacent to Mono Lake) you will want to have lunch at the Mobil Station on Hwy 120 right near the junction with 395. Yes, you want to have lunch at the gas station. The food there is absolutely incredible. Not your typical coke and corn dogs. You will be amazed at the menu...

Enjoy your trip. The East side of the Sierra is one of my favorite places on the planet.

Kerik
    www.kerik.com

Images
    Sounds like a California trip. Did you want Nevada?
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    While you're in Lee Vining (the town adjacent to Mono Lake) you will want to have lunch at the Mobil Station on Hwy 120 right near the junction with 395. Yes, you want to have lunch at the gas station. The food there is absolutely incredible. Not your typical coke and corn dogs. You will be amazed at the menu...

Enjoy your trip. The East side of the Sierra is one of my favorite places on the planet.

Kerik
    www.kerik.com
    What a great idea! Do they have clean bathrooms<g>. This I will defenitely have to checkout! If I have my friends from Carson City with me, they'll get a kick out of it, too.

Thanks!

-Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    Cerro Gordo E. of Keeler is an interesting haunt. It's all private though so you need to call Mike Patterson and ask permission to come on up. Keeler is worth a stroll too. Just depends on where your heart's at as to which direction you go. If you wind up in Tonopah, give me a call..
    I see Cerro Gordo is off Hwy 136. I will be driving My Jeep 4WD down with rugged tires and camping gear, so I'll have no problems. I have lots of experience offroading. I have driven Hwy 190 and photographed rock acstracts along the roadside (a 'geometric explosion!' - does anyone know who I'm quoting?<g> Can you PM me how to contact Mike Patterson? If you saw my gallery (thanks for the kind words), up can see I love rock formations and I will go far out of my way to find them. Next year, I"m chartering a small yacht to take me to a remote island for 4 days of shooting odd rock formations, even, so a 4WD trip is no problem for me. Please PM me his contact info as this alone could 'make' the trip for me.

Just went and looked at your gallery page. Gorgeous stuff. You WILL enjoy the Tufa's! Go also to the 'sand tufa's' at Navy Beach. Different direction from a Y in the same road. Bring lots of film.
    Yes, I have been to Mono Lake a few times but only for brief stay each time. I see the fall time is some of the best time to get nice skies, is that right? I hope I"m not too early for rain clouds, etc.

In DV make the hike into "Mosaic Canyon". There's a gorgeous 717 shot about 1/4 mile in where the canyon makes an S turn.
    How do I find this Canyon? Is it on a topo map?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    Bad Water IMHO is best to photograph in the morning with Telescope peak in the backgroundHave a good one
    Can you please tell me how to find Bad Water?
    Also, I've seen shots of a place in DV (I think it was EV) with the 'racing rocks' that seem to move on their own. I'd like to see that. Does anyone know where they are?

-Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin