Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,475   Online: 1086

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Antarctic Peninsula

In January I will be taking a ten day trip from Ushuaia, Argentina, and wonder if any Apugers can help me prepare. My interest is more in B&W to date, but wonder if this isn't really more of a color trip. I understand the exposure problem on bright white subjects in B&W , but am more interested in color balance, types of film, and any other advice is welcome. Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know just how cold it gets in Antartica during the "summer". However, there is mention of having cameras winterized for use under extremely cold conditions. This consists of having all lubrication removed from cameras and lenses since the lubricants will harden at low temperatures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I have absolutely no advice for you, but I have to tell you that I am totally envious!
    That sounds like a wonderful trip! It is part of a dream trip of ours! I love shooting snow in b&w... I would take a couple cameras... one loaded with color & one with b&w... don't leave it home just cause it may be bright... and PLEASE post photos when you return!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think you are right, it probably is more of a color trip. I would suggest Provia F100; it is more neutral in color balance then Velvia - I've never shot Velvia under snowy conditions, but suspect it might have a slightly off color balance to the whites, which you would avoid with Provia.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    YOu might want to check out Frank Hurley's work from 1914. There are a number of references and books.

or this...http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/features/endurance/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This should be a great trip, I'm envious! If I was going, I'd shoot black and white, but of course that is what I use everywhere. Have you seen Josef Hoflehner's book "Frozen History"? He and his wife photographed Scott and Shackelton's huts that are still standing along with their contents-very nice work. How much wind do you expect?

Richard

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by trhull
    In January I will be taking a ten day trip from Ushuaia, Argentina, and wonder if any Apugers can help me prepare. My interest is more in B&W to date, but wonder if this isn't really more of a color trip. I understand the exposure problem on bright white subjects in B&W , but am more interested in color balance, types of film, and any other advice is welcome. Thank you.
    Wow! Great for you! I am planing to make a trip to Antarctica myself, probably next summer. I can't think of a more beautiful place to visit. I hope you have already read the whole Lonely Planet guide. It is really packed with a lot of information and history and lots of anecdotes and side notes.
    Take two cameras, one for black and white and another dedicated to color. Fort color film I would take a supersaturated Velvia for those incredibly overcast days with not a sinbgle shadow, and a soft film for the sunny days. Sunny in Antarctica must be exdtremely contrasty.

Please check this website it should be inspiring and informative. http://www.joanmyers.com/Ant.htm

Good luck and get back to us with fine photographs!

Christian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colivet
    Wow! Great for you! I am planing to make a trip to Antarctica myself, probably next summer.
    Christian,

Don't forget, summer here is winter there!! Can you even get there at that time of year?
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Christian,

Don't forget, summer here is winter there!! Can you even get there at that time of year?
    Yes, I know well because I grew up in Argentina where Christmas are snowless.
    I don't think you can get there in winter because the Ice will block you and you will have to perform an Ernest Shackleton feat to get out of there alive.

It does get much colder there than it does here in Hawaii!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin