Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,402   Online: 903

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Arizona in October

I will be attending a Barnbaum workshop in Flagstaff, Az and will have a couple of days without the other attendees. I would like to have suggestions relating to the area between Phoenix and Flagstaff for LF opportunities...Evan Clarke

Images
    Sedona via Schnebly Hill Road. Painted desert. Jerome, Oak Creek Canyon. 89 up toward Page, Grand Canyon SOuth rim and north rim.

How far do you want to drive? DIstance out here in Northern AZ is a relative term. A short ways could mean an hour or more of driving.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Mark,
    I have an afternoon, an evening and a morning around Phoenix and then must pick up a travelling mate. We then have the day from about 10:00 A.M. until 7:00 P.M. to make our way to Flagstaff. Upon the end of the workshop we return to Phoenix, I put him on the plane and then I have about 24 hours to kill before I fly out..Evan Clarke

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    My inclination would be to drive 1.5 - 2hours east of Flagstaff to Petrified Forest which I think has better photographic opportunity than Sedona. Its true that Holbrook can't match Sedona's dainty little tourist shops and restaurants, though it does/did have Joe & Aggies Cafe. The northern, Painted Desert section of the park, and the Blue Mesa section are both high potential

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with David, Sedona is quite built up, good shots are hard to find. David's suggestion of the Petrified Forest is excellent, then I would back track to Holbrook, take 77 south to 60 to Globe, you will cross the Salt River Canyon, very steep both and down and up, lot of pull offs with good views, from Globe west on 60, if you have time I would stop at the Boyce Thompson Arboretum, back to Phoenix.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    David, Paul, Thanks much for the input. Distances are a lot different than here in Milwaukee!..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I haven't been to Phoenix in a number of years, but I would go out to Apache Junction and hike (and photograph) in the Superstition Mountains (you might even find the lost gold mine).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Robert,
    Lots of stuff in Arizona, I guess it would be better to camp out there a few months..Evan Clarke

Images
    David and Paul are right bu they are sending you many hours out of your way. You can see the little painted desert by driving a little ways out of winslow and taking the exit for Second Mesa-I can't remember the road number-and driving for about twenty miles. Beautiful and NOT over photographed.

COnsidering your time line this is how I would go. Drive out of Phoenix turn onto the road that will get your to prescott. Drive over the hill to Jerome and then towards sedona and up oak creek canyon to Flagstaff. Your shots are going to be between the interstate and Prescott between prescott and Jerome, and in jerome if you like funky houses. Then outside sedona but it is not my favorite place. I love the drive from sedone up schnebly hill road but I forgot to mention you would need a 4x4. Skip sedona and drive straight into Oak Creek Canyon. Lovely shots abound if you get out andf walk around. I am not sure if it is still happening but you used to have to get a permit to park on the side of the road in oak creek canyon. Then to flagstaff.

GOing through salt river canyon to phoenix is foolish but you could get back to phoenix through Payson. This will take you over the Mogollon Rim.

Just my two cents having lived in NA for a number of years

PS sorry I am terrible with road numbers and names. The interstate is the one going north. I think the road to prescott has the word cherry in it. It is maybe 45 minutes out of phoenix. If you want more specific stuff I can find it.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I have lived in Arizona for 12 years now, and in October...the ONLY place I am going to suggest you photographing in along Oak Creek in SEDONA. It is just outside of Flagstaff, you can go there or your way too or from Flag. Do you shoot color or black and white? Of course, its really good for color right now because all the leaves are changing colors.

I am planning a weekend trip up to Sedona one weekend in October. Let me know what weekend you will be there and we could possibly meet up and I will show you a few beautiful places.

I do not suggest photographing around Phoenix this time of the year. No wildflowers, very hot, and dry. You will spend more time hunting for photographs, then you will PHOTOGRAPHING. I only suggest going to Sedona, Oak Creek.

Ryan McIntosh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin